Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2017

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

In case you missed it, here's what happened in the Ruins this week . . .


WTF Friday: The Queen of Swords by Alana Melos

Waiting on Wednesday: Tyrant's Throne by Sebastien de Castell

#NonFiction Review: Fascist Lizards from Outer Space by Dan Copp

Vampires, Zombies, and Necromancers: Catching up with the review pile . . .


Coming up this week, a steampunk themed guest post from the gang at ForbiddenFiction.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

A handfull of digital additions to the review pile this week:

Of Passion and Steam: Affairs of a Curious and Sordid Nature
heroes and villains seeking their satisfaction amid the smoke and mysteries and miraculous automata of the age of Passion and Steam

The Angel Alejandro by Alistair Cross
townspeople are changing in outrageous and appalling ways, and it's up to a young woman, a man without a past, a psychic, and a local priest to save them



River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey
alternate history with man-eating bayou hippo mayhem

Something Violent by Kristopher Rufty
a couple who kidnap their marriage counselor to rekindle their love of killing together


My alter-ego, of course, did pick up one potential WTF Friday read:

Pervikar (The Adventures Of Pervikar Book 1) by John Evans
a half-ogre farm-boy journeys across the strange, magical world of Provost, righting wrongs and bedding women


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

Not quite there yet, but I'm slowly catching up with the review pile:

Death's Mistress by Terry Goodkind
Nicci & Nathan tangle with street life, fight lethal battles on the high seas, and face a vast magical confrontation far from home

Blood, the Phoenix and a Rose: An Alchymical Triptych by Storm Constantine
A stand-alone trilogy of connected novellas, are witness accounts that bring light to one of the darkest corners of Wraeththu history

The War of the First Day by Thomas Fleet
When the King of Taxis invades the witchlands, witch apprentice Lilta is ordered to kill the King and capture his infant son



What's topping your shelves this week?

10 comments:

  1. Man-eating bayou hippo mayhem...oh yes that sounds pretty good to me! I am so checking that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. River of Teeth is one I am really looking foward to. Something about that premise makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I've only jumped on a few of the Tor.com novellas, but they've all been great reads.

      Delete
  3. Such a great haul! I agree with Chuck above! Man Eating bayou hippos is so unique and something i will definitely have to check out! Hope you love all your new book babies!!

    Amber @ Paradise of Pages
    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your new books this week. I hope you love all of your new goodies.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great haul. I have heard recently about The Angel Alejandro by Alistair Cross I am intrigued to pick it up.

    Megan @reading away the days

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are you doing with Death's Mistress? I'm going to be starting that one soon, and I'm at once excited and a bit apprehensive, I'm hoping it will be a better than my first experience with Goodkind.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I just devoured the last 200 pages tonight. I can honestly (and happily) say it's his best in ages. It reads like an old-fashioned quest novel, with some really amazing scenes, and no heavy politics or philosophy.

      Delete
  7. a man eating hypo? Oh, my, does that mean we taste better than women? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several books caught my attention. I will be interested in your thoughts especially on The Angel Alejandro and River of Teeth. I really like alternate history and this sounds fun.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete