Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2016

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

In case you missed it, here's what happened in the Ruins this week . . .


WTF Friday: Strange Appetites edited by Lon Sarver

Best of 2016: A 5-Star Year in the Ruins

Non-Fiction Review: The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston


Coming up this week . . . my annual Most Anticipated look at next year's new releases.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

I'm still chasing the wagon this week as I succumbed to a trio of review titles:

The Fathom Flies Again by James Walley
The first book in the series was a ton of fun, so I couldn't possibly turn this down

The Shame Trilogy by Lovern Kindzierski & John Bolton
This is an absolutely gorgeous graphic novel that I'll be sitting down with soon

Eric Olafson, Space Pirate by Vanessa Ravencroft
Coming in February, this LGBT/Sci-Fi/Action space opera caught my interest


With an eye towards taking over the blog for the holidays (more on WTH Holidays next week), Foster snagged some Kindle deals as well:

The Lord of Hazelgrave by Avery Lockwood

The Dammerung by Macaulay C. Hunter


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

Diving deep into the review pile again this week, aiming for a clean start in 2017, with:

I've been sitting on this for a few weeks, but it's finally time to revisit Osten Ard

Recluce Tales: Stories from the World of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
So far this is fantastic . . . such a diverse world of stories

Little Heaven by Nick Cutter
I've had this since summer, but was asked to hold a review until closer to its Jan release


What's topping your shelves this week?

16 comments:

  1. I was sure I had Nick Cutter somewhere on my ereader but can't seem to find it. Hmmm, guess that says something about how many are lurking there! Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read his first 2 books (somehow missed the 3rd) and they were great, but this one is shaping up to be his major epic.

      Delete
  2. Great haul of books this week. I love review titles a lot as well. You got some new ones that I hadn't heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great selection of books! I've not heard of any of them, except the Tad Williams book. I definitely want to check it out. :D I hope you enjoy all of your new books, Bob!

    Have a fabulous week. :)

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of awesome books you got there! I hope you enjoy them!



    Here’s my Stacking the Shelves!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean Olaf the Space Pirate is gay? Colour me intrigued, I do love me some space opera! Haven't read any ever since I finished translating Pierce Brown's Red Rising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't read a lot of sci-fi, but that one caught my interest.

      Delete
  6. Ah, I have to get started on Little Heaven soon. When I requested that book, the release was still a long time away, but January 2017 is coming fast upon us!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I've been waiting to give it a read. I have to say it's got a killer opening.

      Delete
  7. Little Heaven looks like my kind of book. I hope you enjoy reading this week.


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Space Pirate sounds interesting! Here is my IMWAYR: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/musing-its-monday-what-are-you-reading

    ReplyDelete
  9. These all sound good. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Foster. You find the best books for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, an interesting haul -- I don't think I know anything about any of these.

    ReplyDelete