Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2016

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

In case you missed it, here's what happened in the Ruins this week . . .


WTF Friday: Dangerous Urges by Konrad Hartmann

Horror Review: Thing Bailiwick by Fawn Bonning

The Dilemmas of Erotic Horror guest post by Konrad Hartmann

The Voodoo and Hoodoo that You Do guest post by Gail Z. Martin

When is a Trilogy Not a Trilogy? guest post by Rob J. Hayes


Coming up this week, we'll be hosting visits from Rowena Cory Daniells and Andrew Joyce, so be sure to stop by for that.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

As much as I've vowed to stop requesting review titles myself, the books keep pouring in, and there have been a few I just couldn't refuse:

Willful Child: Wrath of Betty by Steven Erikson

The Feast of All Souls by Simon Bestwick

Blood Fiends' Bane by William Stacey



In the Springtime Everything is New All Over Again by Esmerelda Q. Jones

Six Out of Five Box Set by Marc Richard


I also made a few late night purchases yesterday. I've been in the mood for a more traditional (i.e. non-grimdark) epic fantasy, so The Sleeping King by Cindy Dees & Bill Flippin caught my eye, and I'm extremely excited about a re-imagined edition of Headhunter, the first Special X Thriller, by Michael Slade - we're talking elite Mounties and the darkest of serial killers here.


And, of course, Foster tossed a few new titles into the WTF Friday dungeon:

Deadman's Tome Book of Horrors II by Mr. Deadman

The Triad and the Innocent Maidens by Reed James

Something Good, Something Bad, Something Dirty by Brian Alan Ellis

The Lost City of the Dinosaur Women by Chamo Silver





αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

It's all paperback editions this week with the new Librarians novel, the latest Jack Ryan adventure, and a The Lord of the Isles pick of the dusty old shelves.



What's topping your shelves this week?

12 comments:

  1. I'm seeing the Feast of the Souls on a few blogs and I really love that cover. Might be checking that out at some point. Enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Always up for a good haunted house tale.

      Delete
  2. The Lost City of the Dinosaur Women??? What the what? Is it a wonderfully refined read? :) I love me the cover of Queen of Demons, is it about Hilary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two out three of those WTFery titles were free and now they're mine ;) Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of the WTF titles are Kindle freebie. Makes it easy to take a chance on something weird and new. :)

      Delete
  4. I love haunts, and am adding The Feast of All Souls to my TBR. I look forward to reading what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently reading Wrath of Betty, and it's even sillier than the first one, if that's possible. Probably wouldn't have been my cup of tea if it had been spoofing anything other than Star Trek :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started it today and you're right. Every sentence had a gag. It's almost too much.

      Delete
  6. I wasn't a fan of Willful Child, so I won't be picking that up, but I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't enjoy it as much as his comic Malazan novellas, but I want to see where he goes with it.

      Delete
  7. I am so far behind on the Jack Ryan adventures. The sheer size of the hardcovers are making me want to avoid them. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete