Quantcast

Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

#IWSG - Crisitunity

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop aimed at sharing our doubts and concerns, while encouraging one another with assistance and guidance. As the lighthouse image suggests, it’s a beacon in the dark and a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

I'm going to steal a page from the book of Homer J. Simpson this week and claim a crisitunity. That's right, I could lament the negatives of the past month, but I'd rather look at them as a much-needed kick in the butt.

First, I heard back from one of the publishers who were reading my book. The response was not what I had hoped. Second, I saw a post about HWA memberships being discounted this month, and it turns out they will consider self-published work for an Affiliate Membership, but you need sales of at least $200. I'm not quite there yet.

So, what's next? A change in focus. It's time to narrow my sights and approach some of the smaller, niche publishers with my novel. I already have a few in mind that I think would do it justice, and I'm beginning to realize that passion counts for more than prestige. As for the HWA, I really do want to take advantage of some of their perks, so it's time to start looking at those paying markets again and hone my short story skills.

August's IWSG Question: What was your very first piece of writing as an aspiring writer? Where is it now? Collecting dust or has it been published?

I am pleased to say my first piece was also my first published piece, appearing in a Canadian SF/Fantasy magazine. I did get paid, but never did get my contributor's copies, so I had to hunt around Southern Ontario and spend my payment to buy my own. :)

1 comment:

  1. Cool your first piece was published.
    Do check out some of the smaller publishers. They are much more open and willing to take a chance on newer writers.

    ReplyDelete