Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2016

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

In case you missed it, here's what happened in the Ruins this week . . .


WTF Friday: Ordeal by Wol-vriey

Fantasy Review: Red Tide by Marc Turner

Waiting on Wednesday: The Dragon Lords by Jon Hollins

Fantasy Review: The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

For Review:

Night Things: Undead and Kicking by Terry M. West 
Expected publication: July 17th 2016 by Pleasant Storm Entertainment, Inc.

Imagine a world just like yours with one startling difference: every creature of legend has stepped forward from the shadow and they now exist shoulder to shoulder with humankind! New York City has become a macabre melting pot. Vampires, werewolves, zombies and ghouls are now the new immigrants and they are chasing the American dream. The Night Things have become part of the system. But many humans feel the creatures are dangerous ticking time bombs.

Carol Haddon is a former professional fighter living in New York City. Now a social worker, she has devoted her career and life to assisting the Night Things. She is killed after a senseless and brutal attack on her office. Carol is reanimated by the mad genius, Herbert West. West discovers that Carol carries a very unique DNA that could change things dramatically for the zombie population of the world. Johnny Stücke, the mysterious leader of the Night Things who has emerged in the media after Z Day, a citywide zombie attack a few months prior, takes Carol under his wing after her life as a mortal is stripped away. Carol’s creation has also attracted the attention of Herbert West’s greatest enemy, Edmund Wraight. An experiment of Herbert West’s gone horribly awry, Wraight is an ageless, violent, and hungry creature who was once known as the infamous Jack the Ripper. And he must stop West before the scientist unlocks the secret hidden in Carol’s blood.



The Taming by A.M. Rycroft
Expected publication: June 14th 2016 by Mighty Quill Books

A dark fantasy novella for fans of sword and sorcery, and non-mainstream vampyre fiction.

A friend’s death still haunts Thystle Moran. Through an informant with questionable motives, she learns that the events leading up to his tragic end were no accident. Driven by guilt, Thystle seeks vengeance, but an act of betrayal by a fellow vampyre and the distractions of a young woman threaten her quest. Can Thystle get her revenge before the killer gets her first?


Kindle Freebies:

  

  

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With my beta-read all wrapped up, it's time to dive deep into the stacks and catch up on my reading. Right now I'm juggling a few titles for review over the next 2 weeks:

Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay [May 10th 2016]
After giving up on the digital pre-press ARC that just wouldn't format for my e-reader, I picked up the hardcover this week, and I'm starting from page 1 so I can enjoy it properly.

The Fireman by Joe Hill [May 17th 2016]
So far, this is fantastic. As much as I loved the idea of the Dragonscale plague, I wasn't sure Hill could sustain nearly 800 pages, but his father's influence is strong in this one.

Freeze/Thaw by Chris Bucholz [May 17th 2016]
The Shade, a set of micro-satellites designed to stop global warming, worked. A little too well. With a tagline line that, I'm definitely excited to see where this goes.

 

What's topping your shelves this week?

7 comments:

  1. I quite like the sound of Night Things...I might add that to wishlist. It's different from anything I've read recently and it has all my favourite monsters in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an interesting bunch! I should reaaaally start on The Fireman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished up a couple reads over the last couple weeks, thanks to my Kindle going through blutooth. I "read" The Cogs of Time short story anthology, and Elana Johnson's Echoes of Silence. Need to get those reviews up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished The Fireman myself, and I can't agree more with your comment about his influence. The book reminded me very strongly of The Stand, and I make that comparison as a compliment.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely adding Night Things to the wishlist. Your comments have made me even more excited to read The Fireman. That novella looks pretty good too. Man, I need to stop looking at STS and finding all kinds of new reads - haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing The Fireman around a lot. I've never read Joe Hill but should give this one a try. Here's my week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, what if that really happened in New York??

    ReplyDelete