Quantcast

Saturday, August 8, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A busy week in the ruins on all fronts - from the shelves, to the page, to the screen!


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

First up this week we have a trio of review titles that I'm excited about. Jim Butcher is an author I've been meaning to read for years now, so it's nice to have the chance to get in on the ground floor of a new series that sounds very cool. Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child are old favorites, and I have to admit to being absolutely stoked to get another early look at a new Pendergast novel (complete with secret chambers, shipwrecks, and murder).


Kristi Charish is an author I got to know very well early this year (check out her guest post), and I've been curious to see how she'd follow up her imaginative urban fantasy debut. Finally, Alistair Cross is another author I've gotten the chance to know over the course of this year (check out his interview and guest post), and I've been patiently waiting to get my hands on his modern gothic vampire thriller.


At the same time, I added a pair of titles to the WTF Friday queue of bizarro goodness. Technically, The Future of Sex is a review title as well (nabbed off NetGalley), but it sounds like a smart sci-fi thriller with an erotic edge. The Shoggoth Secret, on the other hand, is an Amazon freebie that caught my eye - an erotic Lovecraftian deal with a shape-shifting devil.


I also received a trio of titles in the mail this week from the good folks at Skyhorse Publishing. The Song of Synth and The Pilots of Borealis are both new to me, but I always look forward to the latest Best Horror of the Year collections from Ellen Datlow.


Finally, landing late Friday afternoon, I got the new hardcover release of The Lightning Stones by Clive Cussler's Oregon Files collaborator Jack Du Brul.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

After a false start (that, in hindsight, I simply cannot fathom), The Fifth House of the Heart by Ben Tripp is quickly shaping up to be a favorite read of the year. At the risk of sounding all pretentious, it is just a marvelous read, with a refreshingly unique protagonist, a new approach to vampires, and just a lot of classy, artistic, well-written fun. I am still thoroughly enjoying Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey as well, but she's taken a bit of a back seat to the adventures of Asmodeus “Sax” Saxon-Tang.


What's topping your shelves this week?

22 comments:

  1. Them Aeronauts seem most delightful for this spy! We would give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I can see that being your kind of book, Dez. I think you'd like Fifth House too - very odd and eccentric, but brilliant fun.

      Delete
  2. I tried Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and thought they were ok but a bit slow for me. I haven't tried anything else by the author though. Hope you enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things, and have a few Dresden books cued up for a read, so we'll see how this first taste goes.

      Delete
  3. Another Pendergast novel? Excellent!!
    Thanks again for co-hosting the IWSG this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks (as always) for the opportunity, Alex!

      Delete
  4. Ooh nice! Seeing a few of these around today, but are still otherwise new to me! Still look very intriguing! Will have to look a few of them up! Hope you enjoy them all!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, be sure to stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're enjoying The Fifth House....I always worry when I fall in love with a book that I'll be the only one to appreciate it. And that trio of Skyhorse books looks very familiar;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifth House is such an unusual read, but so very well done. The characters are great, and I love his take on vampires . . . although I'll never look at spiders in caves the same way again.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to the Butcher and Charish books. Nice haul this week! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi's first was one of the most original urban fantasies I've read in years, so I'm hoping for more of the same.

      Delete
  7. I was pretty thrilled when I saw Aeronaut's Windlass go up on NetGalley as well, really looking forward to it. I really enjoy his Dresden Files but didn't get into his epic fantasy Codex Alera at all so I'm curious how I'll feel about this one.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw the preview go up a while back, but teasers just frustrate me. Looking forward to the read.

      Delete
  8. Great haul! I've been hearing good things about Jim Butcher's novels.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly has his fans - hoping I become one of them.

      Delete
  9. Man, I really need to get to my reread of the Kushiel books. Just seeing the cover made me want to pick it up! I really need to try more of Jim Butcher's work, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I stopped at the first Kushiel book, even though I loved it. Took advantage of the trade paperback re-release to catch up, and now I'm on my way. :)

      Delete
  10. And cue the flailing! I am desperate to get my hands on the new Jim Butcher so can't wait to hear what you think! I also love reading the Pendergast novels so glad to hear there's another one on the way!

    Enjoy all your new books and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last Pendergast was the best in years, so I have high hopes

      Delete
  11. What great books! Sounds good to me!

    Happy reading!!

    Here is my ​post

    ReplyDelete
  12. they look soo good, have fun with your new pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many great books. Hapy reading :)

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete