Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A much busier week this time around with some promos, reviews, features, and a couple of solid reads from the Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off.
An exciting week coming up, as we'll be having Zachary Jernigan, Alyc Helms, and Jane Kindred stopping by.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Even after cleaning up the review pile and cosigning a few long-lingering titles to the DNF pile, I still have approximately 30 books waiting for my attention. We'll see how long I can stick with it, but my plan right now is to go cold turkey on requesting any new titles. If I'm good, Goblins will be the last title I request (the disappearance of the Roanoke Colony is too legendary to resist), and Damned Children of Naor will be the last title I accept (having enjoyed the first 3 volumes, I couldn't very well turn down the latest).

Damn, but this is going to be hard! :)


Damned Children of Naor by Justyna Plichta-Jendzio
Evil lurks everywhere and only waits for the opportunity to hunt down and devour the souls of its victims. It is all the same to the evil whether those souls belong to slaves, peasants, monks, nobles or kings. Every mortal must make a choice whether he wants to devote his soul to perdition or save it, even at the cost of life. This battle has been fought for millennia and its arena is every corner of Naor. Anyone can become a warrior and his main arms will not be a weapon forged by smiths’ hammers but faith given by the gods of lightness.

This time the goddess of fate chose Isilai, a merchant’s daughter from the far south, who was dreaming of traveling and leading a free life. The goddess’s finger also pointed to Sainal, a mercenary returning from wars to her lands. Valbern, an aide to a powerful lord Kolbren, has not been spared the test as well. Each of them had to face the evil. Did they decide to sacrifice what was the most precious in their lives to keep their souls away from hell?


Goblins by David Bernstein
They want the children!

Someone is taking children from their homes on Roanoke Island and gruesomely slaughtering their families.

After a small, hideous-looking creature is discovered at one of the murder scenes, Chief of Police Marcus Hale realizes whatever is responsible for the killings isn’t even human. Hale suspects a bizarre link to the past, to the end of the 16th Century, when the island’s first settlers disappeared, leaving only the word Croatoan carved into a tree.

But something far more sinister than he ever imagined is at work. And if it isn’t stopped soon, the entire island’s population will perish. Just like it did so many centuries ago.


My little guy and I did hit the Book Depot warehouse for a little book shopping and train watching tonight. Seriously, they have a track suspended from the ceiling over the kid's section with a model train that takes about 10 minutes to complete it's extensive path, complete with tunnels and bridges. Anyway, after chasing the train (he made us do it twice), I came home with a few new titles.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

Wanderlust by by Adam Millard
Wizards, magic, necromancers, and thieves, all in a steampunk turn-of-the-century London.

The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence
Okay, I've patient, but since my review copy seems to be stuck in the mail, I went out and bought a copy at lunch. I've waited long enough - time to indulge!



What's topping your shelves this week?

15 comments:

  1. You have 30 books awaiting your attention...I have 600! About 160-200 are on my ereaders but the rest are sitting on bookshelves in my house! I'm doing what I can this summer to get the pile reduced! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think I've got about 1100 on the overall TBR pile, but 30 that I've committed to for reviews.

      Delete
    2. where do you get your preview review books, Bob, I asked Thor to send me DINOSAUR LORD for review and they didn't answer me :) Maybe me was knocking the wrong doors :)

      Delete
    3. Dinosaur Lords was one I requested directly from Tor, Dez. It doesn't always work (about a 50/50 chance), but I shared my 'Most Anticipated' and 'Waiting on Wednesday' links to show I was giving it some good press.

      Delete
  2. Some cool covers.
    I don't think I've ever been in a Book Depot. Cute idea to have a train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're primarily an online store, Alex, but we're just lucky that their one retail warehouse is nearby.

      Delete
  3. I wish they had Book Depot warehouses everywhere. Wendy once wrote about her trip to the store at their headquarters (probably the same one you went to? I think it's in the Niagara area) and the pictures of the place was amazing. So envious! Enjoy your book haul!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that would be the one. It's not the prettiest store, being in an old warehouse with no A/C and uneven floors, but it's cheap and there are always nice surprises to find.

      Delete
  4. Awesome haul! Goblins looks really good so I may have to check that one out. I'm surprised that this is the first I've heard of it. Have a great week!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice haul! Love the sound of Goblins so had to go and request it, so much for my willpower! The train at Book Depot sounds like something the twins would love but then they'd probably want to take it home with them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to resist, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  6. Your current reads look especially good! Goblins also caught my eye. Creepy teeth on that cover! I hope you enjoy all these. Happy Reading!
    Here are my newest additions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to read something of Michael Swanwick's. I keep thinking his stuff looks cool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I already had his dinosaur book on my shelf, and then he caught me eye again with my WOW this week.

      Delete
  8. looks like you got some good ones

    ReplyDelete