Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

Another busy week, including the kick-off of this year's A to Z Challenge, a few big reviews, a guest post, and the usual features.
αωαωαωαωαωαωαω


Just a friendly reminder for the authors, publishers, and publicists out there. I do NOT read YA/NA fiction. I have NO interest in YA/NA fiction. Please, take a few moments to read my review policy before filling out the form on that page. Seriously, you're already there, so do us both a favor and read it before wasting my time and yours. Oh, and don't rudely follow up with bulk/spam emails, because they'll just get you blocked. Really, your pitch is NOT going to change my mind. I do NOT read YA/NA fiction. Period. End of story.


Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

A pair of new additions that landed on my doorstep this week, courtesy of Skyhorse Publishing.

Solomon's Arrow: A Novel by J. Dalton Jennings - It’s the mid-twenty-first century. The oceans are rising, the world’s population is growing, terrorist organizations are running rampant, and it has become readily apparent that humanity’s destructive nature is at the heart of the matter.

The Dangerous Type by Loren Rhoads - Set in the wake of a galaxy-wide war and the destruction of a human empire, The Dangerous Type follows the awakening of one of the galaxy's most dangerous assassins and her quest for vengeance.


Along with a signed book and some very cool swag from the gang at Ragnarok, courtesy of their last Birthday Bash and Block Party on Facebook.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

• A Crown for Cold Silver by Alex Marshall
A very oriental kind of fantasy, with a pantheon of gods and floating airships, in which we journey across seven kingdoms with two young men who find their friendship tested by ideas of justice and power, leading them into to war.

• Positive by David Wellington
A 5 million-year-old subglacial lake located beneath two-and-a-half miles of ice in Antarctica, a team of scientists and covert operatives, a prehistoric monster, and evidence of extraterrestrial life with huge implications all adds up to epic adventure.


What's topping your shelves this week?

26 comments:

  1. Nice swag! I think I need to start getting my hands on book swag by trolling more blogs! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the premise and the cover art for Dangerous Type.
    Cool you got some swag with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very cool cover, isn't it? Looking forward to giving it a read.

      Delete
  3. A Crown for Cold Silver was very good. Be glad to finally put my review up next week, don't even remember what it says anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really only read the opening 2 chapters so far, but I'm liking the tone of it.

      Delete
  4. A CROWN FOR COLD SILVER sounds positively delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the same two books from Night Shade this week! They are on a roll:-) I've also got Positive on my pile to read in April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see Night Shade making their triumphant return. Hopefully being a part of the Skyhorse imprint will be good for them.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these but happy reading! Don't you hate review requests for genres you have clearly stated you are uninterested in? I always get ones for YA and I rarely read YA unless I specifically look for a title.

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When their request begins with something like "due to your interest in suspenseful YA," it starts to cross that line from lazy to insulting.

      Delete
  7. Gah, I want A Crown for Cold Silver! It's out soon, isn't it? Not much longer to wait... hope you enjoy the new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another 2 weeks, I believe. It seems to be a love-it or hate-it title, so I'm hoping my early amusement pans out.

      Delete
  8. I'll be very interested to hear what you think of Crown for Cold Silver. Reviews I've seen have either been very positive or very mediocre. I'm not sure what I feel, but I will say I started reading it in February and then I really felt like I had to take a break from it. Now at 40%, and I liked what I saw, and still plenty of time for things to develop.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does seem to be a divisive read, doesn't it? Too soon to tell how it will go, but I'm going in with both eye open . . . even if the opening chapters do have me optimistic.

      Delete
  9. Dangerous Type definitely looks interesting, I hope it lives up to its cover and title. Enjoy!
    -Jon from Bookish Antics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks good and sounds good - we'll see if it lives up to the promise. :)

      Delete
  10. OOh nice new reads! Totally new to me but they look intriguing! The swag is pretty awesome looking too! Happy Reading!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dangerous Type looks like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great haul! I've not heard of any of these but I hope you enjoy them. :D
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drives me nuts when I get emails and pitches for books that clearly fall outside the boundaries I set in my review policy. I don't understand why people waste their time pitching something that isn't something I'm likely to read, let alone enjoy. I can get taking your chances, maybe hoping that what you've got to offer might make someone make an exception, but geez, all it usually does is convince me that you're not an author I want to pay attention to, because you can't even pay attention to the very clear rules I set.

    And I hate seeing the same thing happen to other reviewers. Even if it's always happened, and will probably keep happening. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know it will always happen, and that's a large part of why I noted on my Review Policy that I'll only respond if I'm interested in a copy. Saves me from the temptation to get snarky with people. :)

      Delete
  14. Great haul! I had to go check out the Nightshade titles after reading about them and both are now on my wishlist. Looking forward to hearing what you think of both of them.

    Enjoy your books and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ENJOY!!!

    Love the swag. A Crown For Gold Silver looks good.

    Have a great reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete