Quantcast

Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

IWSG - Time Management

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop originated by our very sci-fi ninja, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and which now has a permanent home at the IWSG site. Every first Wednesday of the month we gather to connect with one another, to share our thoughts and our insecurities, and to offer one another the kind of guidance and reassurance that only another author can provide.

My challenge this month is an old foe, one against whom I've gone head-to-head many times . . . and never done any better than come away with a mutual agreement to continue the fight again tomorrow. That foe, my friends, is time management.

Despite my best efforts, it appears the world isn't going to add another hour to the clock, so it seems I have to deal with the hours available to me. The problem is, there just aren't enough of them in the day. If I want to get anything accomplished, then I am going to have to start sacrificing something in order to borrow/steal that time away. Unfortunately, work is never going to go away, our little man isn't going to suddenly sprout from toddler to teenager overnight, and I'm not about to deny my wife the support she needs while she goes back to school.

So, what's left? Well, I could just stop sleeping and/or eating, but I hear that's only a short term solution and one that never ends well. I could just stop reading and reviewing, but that's like asking me to stop breathing. I need to read. For now, it's back to pen and paper, to going to have to be writing and editing in 15-30 minute chunks of time as I can find them, with a tattered notebook I can quickly whip out and stash away.

On the plus side, that notebook is old-school, spiral-bound, dead-tree terrific, with absolutely no wi-fi or built-in apps, so there's no chance of social media interruptions.

6 comments:

  1. I'm terrible with time management (Which is why I'm attempting a schedule). It's good to not have the internet to distract you when you're writing. Hope you can get a lot done that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the biggest bugger boos of writing, time. It takes up so much! You are brave and fighting the noble fight so keep it up team mate. We're rooting you on! I have a hard time writing in snip-its like that but one does what one must... Keep a "stiff upper lip" and write on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time management is an issue for me too - and I don't have the same commitments as you. Too easily distracted, that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even thirty minutes a day could be really productive if you're a fast writer.
    Need some clones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's even worse is when they steal an hour away from you with the whole spring forward, daylight savings thing. Good luck finding the time to do everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Social Media is an evil part of our lives and a huge drain in lives I think. I know of more than one day when my husband comes home and asks what I did that day if I am off and I can't answer. There isn't any real justifying it and there is little to no result for the time you put in that you can see or show someone else.
    I have also learned that the more I have on my plate, the more time goes into just figuring out how to do everything. Another time killer.

    ReplyDelete