Quantcast

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Tough Travels - To Blathe (True Love)

Every Thursday, Nathan (over at Fantasy Review Barn) leads the gang in touring the mystical countryside, looking for fun and adventure. His Tough Traveling feature picks one of the most common tropes in fantasy each week, as seen in The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynn Jones, and invites us to join in the adventure. All are invited to take part, so if you're joining the journey late, no worries . . . we'll save you a spot in the caravan.

This week’s tour topic is: TO BLATHE

Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT, a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They’re so perky, I love that. But that’s not what he said! He distinctly said “to blave.” (Thanks to Wendy again. Let’s find those examples of True Love!)

For those of you who haven't read/seen The Princess Bride . . . well, first off, what the heck is wrong with you? Seriously, stop whatever it is you're doing and watch it, right now. Tell your boss you're taking some personal time to catch up with a cultural touchstone. He/She will understand, so go ahead, we'll wait . . .

. . . Okay, so now that you're back, you know that what we're really talking about here is true love, a noble cause indeed! Wesley and Buttercup would, of course, be our first couple of the day, but I can think of a few others:

  • Laurana and Tanis from Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance Chronciles - a prime example of childhood sweethearts reunited
  • Cashel or-Kenset and Mellie from David Drake's Lord of the Isles - one of my favorite examples of platonic love and friendship
  • Richard Cypher and Kahlan Amnell from Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth saga - a will they/won't they relationship that truly delivers on the tension
  • Rohan and Sioned from Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince trilogy - one of those rare examples of an epic fantasy marriage that's both happy and true
  • Inevera and Jaridr from Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle - a darker, edgier example of love and duty that has real depth and intrigue
  • Mat and Tuon (the Daughter of the Nine Moons) from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - probably my favorite flirtatious tease, turned surprise love
  • Vanyel and Tylendel from Mercedes Lackey's Last Herald-Mage - a prime example of first love, true love, and tragic love
  • Pug and Miranda from Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga - a May/December romance that develops into true love, marriage, and a long life of happiness

11 comments:

  1. That's right - if you haven't watched The Princess Bride (and watched it over and over) what's wrong with you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost included Richard and Khalan on my list. I was going to be...a bit less kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it went completely off the rails, like the rest of the series, but their relationship from the original trilogy was well-done. :)

      Delete
  3. There is something wrong with me. I don't like The Princess Bride. It's my burning shame that will likely get me smited/smote/smitten, whatever. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, you're out of the club. Turn in your badge and hang your head in shame.

      Actually, my wife isn't a fan either, but I love her anyways, so I guess we can overlook it. :)

      Delete
  4. Ah, wish I'd thought of Jardir and Inevera, or even Arlen and Renna. Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great call with all of them. I totally forgot about Pug and Miranda as well as Rohan and Sioned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something wrong with me too! I've TRIED watching Princess Bride, every time I see it on TV I turn it on. But somehow I've never watched the full movie, just snippets and pieces of it. I always seem to lose interest. Don't hurt me!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never hear of any of these folks! I feel like a fantasy reading poser and like I have some books with good romances to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh, I always feel like a fantasy junior when I read your lists :) And wow Dragonslance Chronicles sound amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn, your classic fantasy game is strong in this post! I've only read Wizard's First Rule, but I liked the "we can't, we shouldn't - but we can't help ourselves" vibe to Kahlan and Richard's relationship.

    ReplyDelete