Quantcast

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

What is it About Pigs? by Duncan McGeary (GUEST POST)

WHAT IS IT ABOUT PIGS?

I've been surprised by the response to Tuskers, my wild pig apocalypse story. Superintelligent pigs on the rampage would seem to be an offbeat story, and yet, I see people's eyes light up at the idea.

Seemingly everyone has had a memorable encounter with a pig.

The idea came to me because of a friend who moved down to Southern Arizona. He was posting complaints everyday about how the javelinas were destroying his garden, disrupting his patio. It got to be kind of funny, and I suddenly had an image of him standing like Conan over a pile of dead pigs, swinging a baseball bat while a red-eyed, bloody tusked monster of a killer porcine leaped for his throat.

Making them swine-steins just made them an even bigger threat. Making them smarter, meaner, and swarming seemed only fair.

Suddenly it wasn't just one man's battle with a pest, but a fight for survival.

Suddenly, I'm seeing pigs everywhere. Sure, some of it is selective perception, but it turns out that pigs have a bigger role to play in our culture than we realize. For instance, it wasn't until I wrote Tuskers that I realized that the picture on the heading of my own blog was me posed with a couple of concrete pigs on my back porch. I bought these two smiling porkers on a trip to the coast at a flea market years ago.

So I'd spend a day writing my little book about my pigs and then turn on a movie and sure enough, there would be a pig in there somewhere. Turn on a cable program, and it would be about wild pigs getting out of control. My silly little story suddenly seems very timely.

What is it about pigs?

I think we see pigs as intelligent creatures, who we are secretly pleased have been able to make their way in the wilds despite our best efforts to wipe them out. We know that we treat them despicably in factory farms and feel kind of guilty about it.

My research into pigs hasn't quite turned me into a vegetarian. I hate veggies too much and I'd starve to death. But it's got me buying range free meat from here on...

We can look into pigs eyes and see a little of ourselves. As Winston Churchill said, "I'm fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

We wouldn't be surprised if superintelligent pigs might be just a little pissed off at what we've done to them. Nor would we blame them. Hell, we might even root for them.

The Hamaggedon doesn't seem so crazy. The Porkalpse seems like something we deserve.

Perhaps the Pignarok is only karma.

– Duncan McGeary

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

About the Author

Duncan McGeary has owned Pegasus Books in downtown Bend, Oregon for the last 30 years. He met his wife, Linda, in a local writer's group, and they've been side-by-side writers ever since. He's the author of several fantasies, Star Axe, Snowcastles, and Icetowers, published by Tower Books, as well as two historical horror novels, Led to the Slaughter: The Donner Party Werewolves and The Dead Spend No Gold: Bigfoot and the California Gold Rush, as well as the Vampire Evolution Trilogy: Death of an Immortal; Rule of Vampire; and Blood of Gold, all published by Books of the Dead Press.



αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

About the Book

Tuskers by Duncan McGeary
Paperback, 238 pages
Published January 12th 2015 by Angelic Knight Press

Barry had created a little piece of paradise in his southern Arizona backyard—until the javelinas came.

His battle to rid his property of the wild pigs soon escalated into war. Too late, he realized these weren't ordinary animals. They were something new, something meaner and smarter. These pigs weren't just at war with him; they were at war with the human race.

And the humans were losing.


If you missed it, you can check out my review HERE!

4 comments:

  1. I think you came up with a really fun concept, Duncan. I look forward to reading it. And I'm not a vegetarian either, but alone in the wild I'd starve to death, as I couldn't kill anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER had a pig encounter myself, but I do love pigs, and now you're making me afraid of them! Love the cover of Tuskers:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the scary thing is that piggies really like to eat dead animals and wounded ones, and the same goes for chickens who go crazy and beastly when they see red colour of blood (which is why some farmers have been putting rose coloured little glasses on their chickens at big farms so that they wouldn't pluck eachother alive)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I didn't even know what it was about but I seen a scary looking pig with blood on it and I was like ooh cool I need this one..LOL

    ReplyDelete