Quantcast

Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Tough Travels – Holidays

Every Thursday, Nathan (over at Fantasy Review Barn) leads the gang in touring the mystical countryside, looking for fun and adventure. His Tough Traveling feature picks one of the most common tropes in fantasy each week, as seen in The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynn Jones, and invites us to join in the adventure. All are invited to take part, so if you're joining the journey late, no worries . . . we'll save you a spot in the caravan.

This week’s tour topic is: HOLIDAYS

Never too late to celebrate … holidays! Because fantasy festivals and feasts are always fun.  Thanks to Wendy for the suggestion!  And feel free to blame her if this proves to be as hard as it sounds.


The two fictional holidays that immediate spring to mind are both from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. First up is Hogswatchnight, occurring on the 32nd of December each year, and involving pig slaughtering, oak tree decorating, the stringing of sausages, and a visit by the Hogfather himself. Next is Soul Cake Day, which is a mash-up of Halloween and Easter, complete with egg rolling, face painting, trick 'r treating, and a visit from the paranoid, ill-tempered, Soul Cake Duck.


And . . . actually, that's all I've got. I wracked my brain trying to come up with some other examples, but kept coming up blank. So, I'm going to take the easy way out and offer you a little video evidence of two other fictional holidays - one we'd all like to forget, and one that still makes me laugh every time.

From the Star Wars holiday special, we have Life Day! [sorry]




From The Simpsons, we have Whacking Day! [enjoy]




Oh,what the heck . . . let's throw in a little Weird Al too!


6 comments:

  1. Weasel stomping! OMG. Spread your lawn with mayonnaise - I'll get right to it.
    I did very poorly at this. I knew there were more feasts but I just couldn't jog my brain enough to shake anything use - too much rich food (and drink)!
    Happy New Year.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week's topic was difficult, I agree. I haven't read any Pratchett yet, but I must admit that the Soul Cake Duck sounds interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rolling around the blogosphere making apologies for this theme, however, I do appreciate the amusing things I'm finding. Life Day! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha!! Love your Wacking Day and Weasel Stomping inclusions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wacking Day. The best of all the holidays!

    I have no idea what Life day is. Will have to watch that video when I got a good connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life Day! I was tempted to throw that in just for shits and giggles, though lost the nerve. I'm glad someone else thought of it too though ;-)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete