Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A rough week being out of town on business, but a little pre-planning kept the blog running:
Coming up this week we have a guest post from Duncan McGeary (author of Tuskers), an interview with Gustavo Florentin (author of The Schwarzchild Radius), my review of Master Sergeant: The Makaum War by Mel Odom, our usual features.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

A few new review titles this week, with The Way of All Flesh by Tim Waggoner (In a world where zombies battle the living, which is more terrifying?), Beyond Redemption by Michael R. Fletcher (When belief defines reality, those with the strongest convictions—the crazy, the obsessive, the delusional—have the power to shape the world), and A Blink of the Screen by Terry Pratchett (A collection of short fiction from Terry Pratchett, spanning the whole of his writing career from schooldays to Discworld and the present day).


Not much time to read (or write) while I was travelling, but I did find a plaza with a Buffalo Wild Wings AND a Chapters! So, while I waited for my wings, I did a little shopping and picked up Souls in the Great Machine (the first book of the Greatwinter Trilogy) by Sean McMullen and D.O.A. II (Extreme Horror Collection) edited by David C. Hayes & Jack Burton.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

Master Sergeant: The Makaum War by Mel Odom
A Master Sergeant who has survived too many wars, a planet known as Green Hell, an insectile race of alien warriors, and the threat of civil war.

A Play of Shadow by Julie E. Czerneda
I took a bit of a break from pleasure reading to catch up on the review queue over the holidays, but I'm happy to be heading back to Marrowdell.



What's topping your shelves this week?

12 comments:

  1. I like the sound of The Way of all Flesh. I can never resist trying more zombie books! I might have to check this one out. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was a Pratchett short story collection. Need to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found it on Edelweiss, but I waited almost a month to get approved.

      Delete
  3. Oh zombies books, it's been a while since I haven't read one! I should, I love them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting tired of zombies, but I trust Waggoner to do it well.

      Delete
  4. I liked Waggoner's Matt Richter series. I'll have to give The Way of All Flesh a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of the zombies vs. living book, but Tim Waggoner...I didn't have a very good experience with my first book by him, but maybe I started with the wrong book...

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. those last two have the biggest potential if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm encouraged by your mention of the Julie Czerneda book. I started reading A Turn of Light recently and have been enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete