Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A quiet week on the feature front, but a lot of reading and reviewing to mark the transition to the new year:
αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Just one review title this week, with Outcast by Marc Saville catching my interest with its promise of genetic engineering, flesh-and-blood robots, a BDSM mistress-slave who flees her role to become one of the underground rebellious Strays, and the chameleon-like hermaphrodite responsible for orchestrating her ejection from society.

On the digital front I snagged the Merculians series from Caro Soles (The Danger Dance, The Abulon Dance, & The Deja Dance), and on the used bookstore front I also snagged two of Simon R. Green's Secret Histories (The Man With the Golden Torc & Property of a Lady Faire).

  

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

Master Sergeant: The Makaum War by Mel Odom
A Master Sergeant who has survived too many wars, a planet known as Green Hell, an insectile race of alien warriors, and the threat of civil war.

Tuskers by Duncan McGeary
Monstrously intelligent, ferocious javelinas (wild pigs) rampage their way through a small, southern Arizona town in this fun thriller.

A Play of Shadow by Julie E. Czerneda
I took a bit of a break from pleasure reading to catch up on the review queue over the holidays, but I'm happy to be heading back to Marrowdell.



What's topping your shelves this week?

18 comments:

  1. Wouldn't be surprised if Tuskers was on some horror movie director's list already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first of a trilogy, so we'll see how it develops.

      Delete
  2. A play of shadows could be fun and MASTER SERGEANT has potential too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have to get a Brian Keene novel read this month. The books are mutating on my bookshelves and have been for ages. Enjoy your latest books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great author. I'm more used to his splatterpunk style horror, but this was a fun change.

      Delete
  4. Man with the Golden Torc may be the most over the top, cheese filled book I have ever read. Especially one chase scene. Hope to see a review of it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever read his Deathstalker books, and they were awesome fun. Everything I've heard says this series is cheesy, but I enjoy a little cheese once in a while. :)

      Delete
  5. I read and reviewed Master Sergrant. Thought it was a OK Military Science Fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not generally a military sci fi fan (I prefer space opera), but I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  6. I started the Simon Green series but haven't caught up. He can be hilarious, but sometimes he out-clevers himself

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep meaning to try Simon R. Green's books. Are you a fan already or dipping into the series to try? Hope you enjoy, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge fan of his Deathstalker series - the best Star Wars/Epic Fantasy mash-up I've ever read - but I'm new to the Secret Histories.

      Delete
  8. All of these titles look interesting to me. Must be I am drawn to the genre. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I don't see the Whispering Swarm on your Currently Reading list anymore, does that mean you ended up giving it the few more chapters you said you would and it didn't take? While I was reading, I was actually quite curious about what you thought, since I knew you were reading it too. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found it hard to get into.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you're getting off to a great start this year! Enjoy your new titles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only read one simon green book about dragons and it was OK, maybe I should try something else

    ReplyDelete
  12. This week you can check out my Monday post to see what I recieved. Though I will need to get 3 books finished this month. It looks like a great start for you. If you have the time, would you please vote in my poll: https://plus.google.com/106671740027571728549/posts/M84EfC14FiT to help me out with getting the word out and the votes so I can be ready to work on the Level Banners this month. Check out my Monday post on blog or though linky for this week.

    ReplyDelete