Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2014

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

The first week of December was an incredibly busy one, with more visitors wandering the ruins this week than we usually see in a month!


Coming up this week? A guest post from Joseph Nassise , my Top Reads of 2014, more reviews, more tough travels, and another WTF Friday.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

A quiet week, with just a few new arrivals.Wrapped in Plastic: Twin Peaks by Andy Burns is a title I requested about a month ago, which explores "the groundbreaking stylistic and storytelling methods" that made it such a quirky, water cooler sensation a quarter decade ago. Servant of the Red Quill is a new Baker Johnson Tale from Terry M. West that promises a 1920s atmosphere, haunted objects, Marquis de Sade, and deadly demons. Finally, Tentacle Death Trip by Jordan Krall was a free Kindle read that I suspect you'll see in a future WTF Friday feature.



αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf. I'm working hard to clear out my review queue before the end of the year, looking to a fresh start for 2015, so I'm giving several titles a shot this week:

A Play of Shadow by Julie E. Czerneda
The second Night's Edge tale sees Jenn and Bannan escape the magical confines of Marrowdell through the dangerous realm of the Verge.

Mirage by Clive Cussler
My first encounter with Juan Cabrillo combines the action/adventure of Clive Cussler with the technological mystery of the legendary Philadelphia Experiment.

The Lost Level by Brian Keene
I'm ridiculously excited by Keene's lost world adventure homage to the likes of Burroughs, Howard, and Wells . . . along with Mellick III and Lansdale!



What's topping your shelves this week?

17 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the cover of Mirage, I thought of the Philadelphia Experiment.
    It's been that long since Twin Peaks? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 25 years . . . makes you feel old, doesn't it? LOL

      Delete
  2. I've never heard about these ones I confess. I hope you'll enjoy them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a HUGE fan of Twin Peaks. I miss it and I'm SO excited for the new "season" coming out (I think sometimes in 2015). Great haul!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, should be an awesome year for Twin Peaks fans!

      Delete
  4. New to me but look good! Enjoy! Happy Reading & Happy Holidays!

    My Stack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of any of these so thank you for bringing them to my attention. I hope you enjoy them! :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh nice! These are all new to me as well, but look like some intriguing reads! Hope you enjoy them all!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet score on Wrapped in Plastic. And yeah I was going to say, seems like anything with "Tentacles" in the title would be an automatic shoo-in for WTF Friday :P

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - tentacles pretty much guarantee WTF, don't they?

      Delete
  8. I remember being in my last year at school when Twin Peaks was first screened in the UK! Only one of my friends watched it and we were obsessed with it. I've always meant to go back and watch it again. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be one of the few who preferred it when it got really dark and twisted, so I'm anxious to see what approach they take to the new series.

      Delete
  9. THE LOST LEVEL sure does look exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha! Tentacle Death Trap. Just the title (and cover) is going to make me look out for your WTF Friday post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a nice little haul. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoy your books for this week. I have a stack of them in physical and quite a few in e-book form. I also still have 3 audio-books to get too. Though this week is kinda busy for me. I got birthday and the holidays coming. I am working on a new Event for this coming year in 2015. http://nrcbooks.blogspot.com/ Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tentacle Death Trip and Mirage look quite good. I enjoy Clive Cussler's books.

    Nice mailbox....ENJOY your reading week, and have a great holiday.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete