Quantcast

Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Larry Rostant

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

Continuing through the alphabet, we have Larry Rostant, the man behind the amazing covers below:









Amazingly vivid - cinematic almost - covers that make equal use of photography and artwork. Rostant has an amazing eye, and a talent for driving home that immediate shelf appeal. It was Guy Gavriel Kay gushing about his work that first put his name before me, and his covers for Peter V. Brett that really wowed me, but for some reason its his UK covers for Clive Cussler that make the most impact.

Be sure to check out his site here.

3 comments:

  1. He's multi-talented. His work takes on a different style for each author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning covers. Can you image that much talent? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful idea for A-Z challenge. Often people forget about the artists behind the cover. Peter V. Brett's is my fav and Dance of Dragons least favorite (simply because I wanted illustration of real character on it).

    ReplyDelete