Quantcast

Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A to Z Challenge: John Harris

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

Continuing through the alphabet, we have John Harris, the man behind the stunning covers below:







Although somewhat cold and impersonal, with nary a sight of humanity, they capture the grandeur, the majesty, and the technological aspects of the genre extremely well - so well, in fact, you can entirely forgive him for his Orson Scott Card collaborations. :)

You can check out his site here.

9 comments:

  1. The covers have a surreal, dream-like quality to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really like that one of Mars on his website. Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mean to diss him, or anyone, but there's a bit too much going on for me on those covers.

    Precious Monsters

    ReplyDelete
  4. He did the Ancillary Justice cover? Wow, I never would have guessed, to me it looks more stylistic than the others.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit different - probably closer to his older Ben Bova covers than his more recent work.

      Delete
  5. Ancillary Justice look wicked. I like his work too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what first caught my eye, but there's something about The Merchants of Souls cover that resonates with me the strongest.

      Delete
  6. He is definitely one of the greats. Would love to see him get a Hugo nod. And he seems to be getting more prolific every year. Harris and Berkey have had such a strong influence over my formative years with their imaginings of an active world "out there".

    ReplyDelete