Quantcast

Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 - A Year in Review

I don't generally concern myself with stats and numbers, but it's always interesting to look back on the year and see how life progressed through the shelves.


Reading Stats
According to my Goodreads Year in Books, I polished off 136 books this year, consuming a whopping 41,538 pages in the process. That number is certainly inflated, given that I had 6 books I neglected to finish, and 8 low-rated books that I either skimmed through or skipped ahead, but somewhere around 100 pages a day sounds right.

The longest book I read this year was A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson. I don't remember it as being a particularly long book, so that's a bit of a surprise, but I certainly remember the weight of carrying that hardcover around for a week.

In terms of ratings, I find them rather arbitrary, and often struggle to assign a number, but it seems I was pretty consistent in my struggles. There were 8 top-rated books to balance out the 8 low-rated books, which makes sense, with 60 that achieved 4 stars, and 53 that achieved 3 stars. All-in-all, I'd say that's a pretty good year for reading.


Blog Stats
Looking back through the year, it looks like my busiest months in terms of traffic were (3) July, (2) September, and (1) November. In a surprising lack of correlation, my busiest months in terms of postings were (3) January, (2) October, and (1) April.

As for the most popular posts of the year, there were 3 that outpaced all others by a significant margin:

3. '10 Fun Things to Do During the Zombie Apocalypse' guest post by Melanie Karsak

2. 'On Selecting Fearsome Journeys' guest post by Jonathan Strahan

1. My review of Magician's End by Raymond E. Feist


Most Memorable Moments
I'm almost reluctant to talk about my most memorable moments, because . . . well, there have been a lot of them, and I know I'm going to miss talking about some big ones. As unfair as it seems to condense an entire year of experiences into a top 5 list, these are the ones that stick most vividly in my mind (in reverse chronological order).

Being invited to host a Q&A with Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child was definitely a memorable experience. A part of me wishes I had taken the opportunity for a phone interview, but I'm not sure I could have remained completely professional, much less taken proper notes. These guys have been favourites of mine for a lot of years, so I'm glad I was able to bring them by.

It may be a little vain, but finding myself quoted for the first time in a press release and an Amazon blurb was immensely satisfying. That honour goes to Hells' Door by Sandy DeLuca, which was published by DarkFuse - who have also gone on to quote me with The Black Church by Toby Tate.

There's absolutely no way I could even think about 2013 without mentioning Mark Lawrence. Not only was his Broken Empire trilogy one of my favourite back-to-back-to-back series reads this year, but it brought a signed copy of Emperor of Thorns to my shelves, and a new friend to the world of social media.

Going way back to the Spring, being offered an ARC of Guy Gavriel Kay's River of Stars from not one, not two, but three different sources - just as I'd given up hope of snagging a copy - was definitely memorable. It was SQT from Fantasy & SciFi Lovin' Reviews who first came to the rescue, with Kay's publicist coming in close on her heels, and his Canadian publisher coming next. Not only that, but Mr. Kay even sent a book recommendation my way, which is shipping from Amazon as we speak!

Finally, although it was late last year that I posted my review of Harry F. Kane's Shudder, getting to know Harry as a friend throughout this year, swapping stories, offering each other critiques & commentary, and sharing publishing tips has been, without a doubt, one of the most positive and rewarding experiences to come out of blogging.


Well, looks like that's about it for this year (although I do have 1 last review coming tomorrow). Thanks to all - readers, bloggers, publishers, and authors alike - and here's to an even bigger, better, and more memorable 2014!

BTW, in case you missed it, check out my Best of 2013 list!

2 comments:

  1. Certainly sounds like a great year, and I wish you that more memorable 2014. I picked up Kay's book when it came out (as an ebook) but it remains one of many books I did not get to this year. Ah well, there is always next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great year indeed Bob! I've been slacking on my blog, I can't seem to find any good followers! Let me know if you do a blog-hop, seems like that's the key to gaining some readership. Have a happy New Year my friend!

    ReplyDelete