Quantcast

Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Amityville (A to Z Challenge)

The A to Z Challenge is daily meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 1500+ participants below and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I'm going with a little author/title alliteration.

Today's challenge post is brought to you by the letter A, as in Jay Anson, author of The Amityville Horror. I remember seeing the movie as a kid and being completely freaked out by it. You had bleeding nail holes in the walls, eyes outside the window, the little girl's imaginary friend . . .and those damned flies, swarming around the windows. It was such a great story, and the possibility that the original story just might be true kicked up the horror a notch.

Of course, it helped that we had an old house in the neighbourhood - long since torn down now, I'm afraid - with those same creepy window eyes on either side of the chimney. Fortunately, our house at the time didn't have a basement, or else I'd likely have had serious issues helping with the laundry! Anyway, I just had to read the original novel, just to see how it compared - a dog-eared paperback copy that I still have boxed up somewhere in the basement today.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

10 comments:

  1. That movie scared the heck out of me when I was younger! I need to read that book. I can handle my horror without the visual these days. Best of luck in the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amityville Horror...classic and a great pick to start out A to Z month.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob - Followed you here on the challenge loop. Starting out by giving us creepy memories...I remember the trailer for the movie scared me enough! Happy "A" Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading that book in high school and it scared the bejeedus out of me. Never had the courage to watch the movie. Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    Hi from Nagzilla bloghopping A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amityville Horror scared the bejeezus out of me! But I still saw the movie. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
    Jenn @Scribbles From Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading the book and seeing the movie when I was a teen. (The original, cheesy movie.) I didn't want to look out my bedroom windows at night for a long time after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That movie was the first scary film I watched all the way through. Gave me nightmares. Houses like that (and motels that resemble the Bates Motel) still give me the creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The movie gave me nightmares for YEARS. Now I must go find the book!

    ReplyDelete