Quantcast

Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Feature & Follow Friday

Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that is designed to provide some much-appreciated exposure to the bloggers participating, and to expand their following. Hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read, each of whom feature a chosen blog for the week, it's an interesting way to get to know one another.

Question of the Week: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?

Let's be honest - is there really an original idea left in the literary world? There's a finite toolbox of ideas, themes, tropes, and cliches upon which every author draws. What sets writers apart from one another is how well they wield those tools. Some may settle for building the literary equivalent of a shack, while others may aspire to creating a mansion, but settle for a nice cottage. There are a rare few, however, who can aim for a sprawling castle or cavernous cathedral - and pull it off. 

Retellings are a perfect example. When done with skill, they can be pieces of literary wonder, just as good as (and sometimes better than) the original. Without that skill, however, they come across as the clumsy, cheap, awkward rip-offs that they really are. Even fan fiction, when done with skill, can be successful. Take, for example, series like Star Wars, Star Trek, Quantum Leap, and Stargate - the novels being professionally published are really just authorized fan fiction. Of course, I can probably think of a hundred or so others that are nothing more than an opportunity to share some really inappropriate sexual fantasies. :)

Parajunkee also hosts a Social Hop for Facebook and Twitter, which I regularly take part in. So, if you're one of those people who aren't on Blogger, or who just don't like Google Friend Connect, it's a great way to keep in touch and follow one another.

While you're here, please pop over to the Seventh Star Press Blog today and check out this week's Blogger Spotlight . . . me!

16 comments:

  1. You said it perfectly- it's probably almost impossible today to produce an entirely original idea for a book, but there are so many ways for an author to be creative and put a new spin on an existing concept.

    New GFC follower. Our FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I like retellings a lot, but only when they're well done. Great answer. Old follower via GFC. My FFs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a fan-fic fan at all. I don't read any of that stuff. But I don't mind a new spin on other stories if the author twists it around a little. Some stories are so universal that it’s almost a given that they will be retold, like The Iliad and the Odyssey. The story is an archetype of the hero’s journey.

    New follow via Google.

    Julie~ New Adult Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping through. I'm not a fan of erotica fan fiction. It goes overboard...although I do want to see what the fuss is about 50 Shades.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answer!

    Here's my FF Post!
    Andrea @ Literary Getaway
    Old Follower(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the first part of your answer - to be fair, all ideas are likely to have been used somewhere before.

    Great answer!

    My FF this week

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a well thought out answer you have! I like how you put forth the fact that there hardly are original plots anymore... Great stuff!

    The Readdicts Feature & Follow Friday post

    New follower here!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. Being original is near impossible. But an author can still take a used and tired idea and make it their own.

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I take each book as it comes. I can be pretty harsh on a book that doesn't meet my standards, but I've been known to indulge in some guilty pleasures (I HAVE read 50 Shades...poorly written, but strangely addictive). The beauty of literature is that there is something for everyone because every writer has a unique style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I forgot...

    New Follower

    http://www.christywrites.com/book-log.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good answer, thanks! for sharing.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great answer!

    Here's my FF Post!
    Andrea @ Literary Getaway
    Old Follower(:

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that everything published draws inspiration from somewhere, but how recent that inspiration was published plays a big role for me. Retellings of classics sit a lot better than someone riding coat tails of recent successes ya know? Good points though :D

    I'm a new follower! Here is my FFF

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a brilliant answer! You are absolutely right! Nothing is truly original in the literary world. It's all how the writer makes it their own that creates a difference between good books and bad books.

    New follower via GFC!

    My F&F

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree! I don't mind as long as there seems to be some original thought put into the story.

    ReplyDelete