Quantcast

Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday: The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter

An unmissable milestone for fans of Sir Terry Pratchett: the first SF novel in over three decades in which the visionary inventor of Discworld has created a new universe of tantalizing possibilities—a series of parallel “Earths” with doorways leading to adventure, intrigue, excitement, and an escape into the furthest reaches of the imagination. The Long Earth, written with award-winning novelist Stephen Baxter, author of Stone Spring, Ark, and Floodwill, captivate science fiction fans of all stripes, readers of Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen, and anyone who enjoyed the Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman collaboration Good Omens. The Long Earth is an adventure of the highest order—and an unforgettable read. (June 19, 2012)

I don't read a lot of humour because I find that the story either suffers at the expense of a cheap joke, or the jokes fall flat in an attempt to tell a story. Terry Pratchett is one of the very few authors who can do humorous fantasy and do it well - his Good Omens with Neil Gaiman is an absolute classic, and I have high hopes for this.

11 comments:

  1. Hi there :) just popping in...
    Good choice it sounds intriguing.

    :) Here is my choice...
    Waiting On Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of that one! Hope you love it once it releases!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know Terry Pratchett was doing a book with Stephen Baxter! Terry is one of my favourite authors. I will definitely have to get this when it comes out. Thanks!
    Here's mine: Small Blonde Hippy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard good things about Terry Pratchett, but I've never read any of his books. Great pick!

    Stop by my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting pick. I had not seen this one before. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find humor to be tough to connect to as well. Christopher Moore is hit or miss for this reason IMO. I have to give Terry Pratchett another try. I can't say I got it the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am one of those who have a very particular sense of Humour so it isn't something I tend to read often. This looks like it might be really good though. Thanks for sharing.

    My Choice this Week @BloodSweatandBooks

    Or Stop By and Enter My
    International Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good humorous story but they can be tricky. Jokes do fall flat easily. Haven't heard of this author so I should check it out. Thanks for sharing and visiting My WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I still haven't read a Pratchett book. This sounds good!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very apt point about the humor. It's hard enough with a "normal" setting--but in a different setting, much harder.

    ReplyDelete