I tend to read a lot of genre sites over breakfast (Coke Zero & Pop Tarts this morning), so I thought I'd get in the habit of sharing the more interesting tidbits once a week.
- Over at io9.com we have look at Jim & Tammy Fay Bakker’s Christian amusement park, Heritage USA, which in 25 short year has gone from the 3rd most-visited amusement park in the US an abandoned post-apocalyptic disaster. Ironically, it's only now that I find myself with any desire whatsoever to check it out. :)
- Also over at io9.com, we find a gorgeous retro, 50s style, B-movie pin-up calendar featuring the different ways the world might end, and the starlets who will survive; a look at some of Lewis Carroll's handwritten pages from an early draft of Alice's Adventures Under Ground; and a peek at some awesome (and awesomely hilarious) letters from 1950s wannabe astronauts.
- From Monsters & Critics comes a chance to win the 50th anniversary edition of A Wrinkle in Time; plus a fun review of Daniel O'Malley's superhero thriller The Rook.
- Kirkus Reviews has a look at 10 Sci-Fi & Fantasy books for February, only 1 of which I'm really excited about (The Mirage by Matt Ruff).
- The good folks at Tor have a nostalgic look back at the one of the greatest shows ever to grace my television, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., as well as a look back at season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Best of all, Tor also offers us a few excerpts this week, featuring The Scar by Sergey and Marina Dyanchenko and Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole.
That's it for this morning . . . happy reading!