Quantcast

Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

TGIF - Feature & Follow Friday

Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that is designed to provide some much-appreciated exposure to the bloggers participating, and to expand their following. Hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read, each of whom feature a chosen blog for the week, it's an interesting way to get to know one another.

Question of the Week: Which book genre do you avoid at all costs and why?

My first thought was Romance (it's fine as an element of a story, but holds no interest to me as a story itself), but I can't say I avoid it at all costs. After all, if my wife really insisted on it, I would give one a read, even if just to have something new to discuss over dinner. Having slept on it, I realized the obvious answer is a genre I originally missed because I do avoid it at all costs - Faith-Based Fiction. Personally, I have no interest in religious dogma, and no absolutely patience for being spoon-fed an author's spirituality. I am quite content to stay out of the shack, and to allow myself to be left behind. :)

Parajunkee also hosts a Social Hop for Facebook and Twitter, which I've taken part in the past two weeks. So, if you're one of those people who aren't on Blogger, or who just don't like Google Friend Connect, it's a great way to keep in touch and follow one another.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

TGIF is another blog hop designed to provide much-appreciated exposure to the bloggers participating, and to expand their following. Hosted by GReads, it's an interesting way to recap the week, pose a question, and find some exposure with a different audience.

Question of the Week: Where do your books that you read come from? The bookstore? The library? Do you prefer to own a book, or have it on loan?

I tend to be a bit of a pack-rat and a hoarder when it comes to books - I definitely prefer to own them. I also tend to be a bit obsessive compulsive when I discover a really good book, and feel immediately compelled to add everything he or she has ever written to my library, just in case I want to read them again some day. As a result, libraries and borrowed books don't really work for me, especially when I get that middle-of-the-night urge to read a certain book.


17 comments:

  1. Hi! New follower! I can't wait to hear more from you! I actually really like romance, but I can see why you might not like it. Too sappy sometimes.

    http://eileenlisblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-friday-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the romance. New follower!

    http://www.reading-kelly.blogspot.com/2012/01/feature-friday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really love romance but not the sappy ones!

    A new follower! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    Here is my FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love romance but it has to come with some other genre: like paranormal or dystopian or something. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I like romance but it can be boring when there is nothing else going on in the book!

    Follow Friday #3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually read romance, but I can see where you are coming from. I for example don't like "pure" romance novels. There's got to be something else. The story can't be about how a romantic relationship with someone gave the protagonists back their [insert what they've been missing]. There's got to be some plot, and the plot's got to be about more than finding your missing husband with the help of [insert random hot dude].

    Added you to my Google Circles and send liked your FB page!

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, i used to read romance but got SO bored of it, all the same story and ending. I've moved on.

    great blog! new follower :D

    - juhina

    check out my FF: http://majibookshelf.blogspot.com/2012/01/feature-follow-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like romance either. It's fine when it pops up as en element in UF and such, but not on its own!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like reading romance, but I agree, there has to be something more to the plot. I think its really sweet too that you'd read a romance novel for your wife!

    New Follower
    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a big fan of the romance genre myself.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-friday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love owning books because they're mine! I can access them whenever I want, share them with who I want and basically just take pride in the fact that I own them all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don;t mind romance, but I couldn't read it ALL the time. Old follower :)

    My FF Post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I'm a new follower!!! I can't wait to read more on your blog!!!! :)

    I don't think I've really ever read a religious book, but I don't think it would be my cup of tea that much either. And haha awww I love romance. :)

    http://jbkantt.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-me-friday-my-first-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely a hoarder too! I currently have about three times the number of books that my shelves can actually hold, haha.

    New follower! :)
    Andie
    From A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree. Religion in books... no, thanks.

    I'm a new gfc follower. ;)

    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/01/ff-feature-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I did read a lot of romance before I started reading YA, and I'm not too fond of religious-fiction, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

    New follower!

    https://twitter.com/#!/Readingwithabc/status/163031348943142912

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hopping through. I'm not a fan of faith based fiction either, although sometimes I don't mind it if it's not preachy.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete