Quantcast

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

#IWSG: Weird and Cool Research

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop aimed at sharing our doubts and concerns, while encouraging one another with assistance and guidance. As the lighthouse image suggests, it’s a beacon in the dark and a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

This month's IWSG Question: What is the weirdest/coolest thing you ever had to research for your story?
In working on the first draft of my novel, I did an obsessive amount of research into real-life ghost stories across Southern Ontario, Western New York, and even a bit of Eastern Michigan. I'm not talking one-off feelings of cold spots or poor quality photos of 'orbs' and phantom blurs, but full-bodied tales where you have an historical location with a violent history, a story that supports the experiences, and a history of documented sightings. It's what ultimately led me to rise above my introverted nature and social anxiety, spending 2 years as a tour guide in Canada's most haunted town. 
Nothing new to report on the writing front this month, but I'm still brainstorming at the most inconvenient times and in the most awkward places, taking notes on the back of receipts or emailing myself snippets of scenes from my phone.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds fascinating. Makes me think the novel will be intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always had an interest in the supernatural stuff and wonder exactly what is lurking out there in the dark...

    ReplyDelete