Quantcast

Friday, November 4, 2016

Adventure Review: The Librarians and The Lost Lamp by Greg Cox

Let me just lay it on the line for you here. When I first heard that there was going to be an original Librarians novel, I was ridiculously excited. I had high hopes for what Greg Cox would bring to the universe, and was anxious to see how it would all play out. Well, imagine my surprise when The Librarians and The Lost Lamp didn't just manage to meet my rather high expectations, but completely exceed them.

First of all, there's the way the book is structured. When the story opened with Flynn's adventures a decade ago, I figured it would just be a fun sort of prologue, before we got into the main story. I've never been so happy to be wrong. This is both a Librarian story (with Flynn, Charlene, Judson, and Excalibur getting half the page count) and a Librarians story (with Colonel Baird, Stone, Cassandra, Ezekiel Jones, and Jenkins getting the other half). That means we get that old-school Indiana Jones adventure of Noah Wyle's original 3 TV movies, and the contemporary urban fantasy thrills that's about to enter season 3. What more could you ask for?

Second, there's the fact that Cox absolutely nails the characters and the tone. This doesn't just feel like an adapted script, it actually reads like an episode of the series. All the little personality quirks and voices are there - especially with Flynn and Ezekiel Jones - and the narrative races along with all the right twists and turns. There are a lot of TV tie-ins that seem to rely on the reader to bring some of that personality with them, but Cox tackles the story like a fan himself, and it works exceptionally well.

Finally, and this is why we like to read as well as watch, The Librarians and The Lost Lamp is like a big screen adaptation, complete with a big screen budget. Cox can pack an entire season of settings into one story, taking us from the heights of a Las Vegas penthouse to the depths of Aladdin's cave, along with a full season of special effects, with flying carpets, genies, ghouls, gunfights, and more. It feels like a big story, and when Jenkins offers his usually dire warnings about the fate of the world . . . well, they seem to carry a tad more weight here. What's more, those warnings set up a pretty big climax that is simply, but wonderfully, resolved.

Bring on The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase. April can't get here soon enough!

Paperback, 286 pages
Published October 11th 2016 by Tor Books

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for review consideration. This does not in any way affect the honesty or sincerity of my review.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't watched the show at all, but now I'm a bit intrigued about both the book and the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit cheesy, but a ton of fun.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying this. It lost me somewhere in season 2, I'm sad to say but I can't pinpoint why. I think it was more a case of "too many shows/books, too little time". If only I didn't have to work for a living!

      Delete
    3. It's my DVR show for the nights the wife is working late. :)

      Delete
    4. I used to watch it while folding the towels and there's always towels but one day I found ID Network and it's taken over my towel time.

      Delete
  2. Huh. I'm not used to tie-in novels turning out well!

    ReplyDelete