Quantcast

Friday, August 12, 2016

WTF Friday: The Bride Wore Brains by Emily Wesley Stringer

Every once in a while, as the mood strikes me, I like to indulge in those titles that are a bit odd . . . a bit different . . . a bit bizarre . . . and a bit freaky. These are books that don't always get a lot of press, and which rarely benefit from any prominent retail shelf space.



They're often an underground of sort of literature, best shared through guilty whispers, and often with embarrassed grins. These are our WTF Friday reads!


Although it takes a little longer to get going than I would have liked, The Bride Wore Brains is a ton of violent fun once the zombie puke starts splashing the ground.

Clearly, Emily Wesley Stringer has suffered through a few weddings in her day, because she captures the romance, the chaos, the tedium, and the pressure exceptionally well. As much as I just wanted her to get on with it, and start killing guest, I have to admit that their deaths were far more satisfactory for all of that build up.

This is a book with more than a few surprises that actually left me guessing as to who might survive the blessed cursed day. Kat made for a fantastic heroine, taking care of the guests with fence rods and gardening shears making for impromptu weapons, but it's the beautiful blood-soaked bride herself, wading through a sea of zombies with a chainsaw, that puts it over the top.

In terms of violence and gore, this was just about perfect, the black humor really helps set it off. Even when friends are dying and loved ones are eating each other, it's nice to know people can still worry about keeping blood out of the Beamer, or checking Instagram between decapitations.


Kindle Edition, 59 pages
Published October 19th 2015

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary ARC of this title from the author in exchange for review consideration. This does not in any way affect the honesty or sincerity of my review.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, sometimes I wonder how/where you find these WTF picks! :) This one sounds like it could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to just be odd little Kindle titles I stumbled across, but the more I do them, the more I get people submitting them for review. :)

      Delete