Quantcast

Saturday, April 30, 2016

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

In case you missed it, here's what happened in the Ruins this week . . .


Shoguns, Action Missiles, and Cartoons in Korea guest post by Kane Gilmour 

Fantasy Review of Saint's Blood by Sebastien de Castell

On World-Building guest post by Fox Lancet


Coming up next week, I've got a pair of guest posts from the gang over at Tomorrow Comes Media; our usual Waiting on Wednesday post; and reviews of The Emperor's Railroad and The Revelation Code.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

For Review:

An interesting batch of review titles this week, including one from my Aurora Awards voting packet, and a UK title that we're finally getting a look at in North America.


Cursed: Black Swan by Ryan T. McFadden
Published October 7th 2015 by Dragon Moon Press

“Let’s get one thing straight—I’m a fixer. You need someone murdered? Then hire an assassin. You need something stolen? Call a thief. But if there’s something no one else can do, or a job that no one else wants, then you talk to me.”

Nathaniel specializes in the strange, the weird, and the dangerous. But no matter how far he runs, he can’t leave behind his bloody past, nor the ghosts that chase him.

His latest job was supposed to be simple—recover the sword Black Swan. Except there’s no such thing as a simple job. When the operation goes bad, the Crucifiers, the Crooked Hand, assassins, and Crusaders are all hot on Nathaniel’s trail...for a sword he doesn’t even have. All he has to do to get it back and set his world right is to find the woman of his dreams... and kill her.


The Copper Egg by Catherine Friend
Expected publication: May 17th 2016 by Bold Strokes Books

The ancient Chimú believed their people came from three eggs: the rulers from a gold egg, their wives from a silver, and the workers from a copper egg.

Archeologist Claire Adams receives a mysterious package that lures her to Peru in search of a treasure-filled tomb. She must find the tomb before looters do. She’s helped in her quest by old friends and by a strange connection to an ancient copper egg. Claire’s ex, Sochi Castillo, has her own plans for the tomb. She has two jobs—one within the law , one considerably outside it. If Claire finds the treasure first, Sochi is going to steal it. As Claire and Sochi are drawn into a web of intrigue, betrayal, and greed, they discover that love complicates everything.


The Copper Promise by Jen Williams 
Expected publication: July 5th 2016 by Angry Robot 

There are some far-fetched rumours about the caverns beneath the Citadel…

Some say the mages left their most dangerous secrets hidden there; others, that great riches are hidden there; even that gods have been imprisoned in its darkest depths.

For Lord Frith, the caverns hold the key to his vengeance. Against all the odds, he has survived torture and lived to see his home and his family taken from him … and now someone is going to pay. For Wydrin of Crosshaven and her faithful companion, Sir Sebastian Caverson, a quest to the Citadel looks like just another job. There’s the promise of gold and adventure. Who knows, they might even have a decent tale or two once they’re done.

But sometimes there is truth in rumour.

Soon this reckless trio will be the last line of defence against a hungry, restless terror that wants to tear the world apart. And they’re not even getting paid.


Champions of Aetaltis edited by by Marc Tassin and John Helfers
Published April 12th 2016 by Mechanical Muse

More than three hundred years have passed since the fall of the Atlan Alliance, and the people of Aetaltis have finally brought order to their fractured world. Fledgling nations have grown into powerful kingdoms, thriving merchant states have re-established old trade routes, and the priests of the Enaros have rebuilt their great temples.

But in this time of hope, the shadow of an ancient evil has emerged from the darkness to threaten the world once again.

Discover a new world of adventure in this collection of pulse-pounding stories written by some of the greatest fantasy authors alive. From the vine enshrouded ruins of a lost jungle temple to the seedy back alleys of the villainous city of Port Vale, experience the thrill of heroic fantasy with these gripping tales of action and adventure.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With my beta-read all wrapped up, it's time to dive deep into the stacks and catch up on my reading. Right now I'm juggling a few titles for review over the next 2 weeks:

HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt [April 26th 2016]
I was sitting on this ARC for a while, but the finished hardcover arrived last week and I just can't resist the concept of a cursed town that nobody can leave, haunted by a 17th century witch whose eyes and mouth are sewn shut.

Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay [May 10th 2016]
It's taken every ounce of self-control I possess to hold off on this one, but I'm ridiculously excited to be diving into a new GGK title. One to savor, not devour.

The Voodoo Killings by Kristi Charish [May 10th 2016]
I'm already a fan of Kristi's work, so I'm really curious to see how she transitions to a new character, new series, and new setting. I got a paperback of this to replace my digital ARC, which just had me even more excited.


What's topping your shelves this week?

14 comments:

  1. Some interesting sounding books this week and some good covers as well! Hope you have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice! Those all look exciting! Hope you enjoy them all!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited to see The Copper Promise is finally coming to the US. I downloaded it as soon as it popped up! And I also got a copy of The Voodoo Killings in the mail this week. Super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, you have got a great haul this week! Hex is one I have been hearing a lot about, I want to read that one myself. I hope you enjoy all your reads when you get to them :) You can check out my STS post here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been curious about Hex... but on the other hand, I know I'm a big wuss. I'm actually reading The Copper Promise at the moment; I didn't know AR were doing the US edition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really excited to receive a copy of Voodoo Killings from Penguin Random House's Toronto offices this week, can't get enough of Kristi Charish!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are some wonderful books in your haul. I really want to read Children of Earth and Sky, and The Voodoo Killings. Have fun reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice haul - I have some of these on my TBR. Hope you enjoy!
    Bambi's STS and Recap

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to Copper Promise. And looking forward to what you think of CoEaS. I am loving it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't head of some of these, but they all look interesting! I hope you enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of intriguing titles there. I hope you enjoy them all. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dropped by from Mailbox Monday to see your list, and it's quite the intriguing mix! I hope you enjoy them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. they all sound epic. Funny how most epic books have titles consisting of an adjective and a noun

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you enjoy all of your books.

    Not my genre, but I like the covers.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete