Quantcast

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Waiting On Wednesday - Dragon Hunters by Marc Turner

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

Dragon Hunters by Marc Turner
Expected publication: February 9th 2016 by Tor Books

The sequel to When the Heavens Fall features gritty characters, deadly magic, and meddlesome gods

Once a year on Dragon Day the fabled Dragon Gate is raised to let a sea dragon pass into the Sabian Sea. There, it will be hunted by the Storm Lords, a fellowship of powerful water-mages who rule an empire called the Storm Isles.

Emira Imerle Polivar is coming to the end of her tenure as leader of the Storm Lords, but she has no intention of standing down graciously. As part of her plot to hold on to power, she instructs an order of priests known as the Chameleons to sabotage the Dragon Gate. There’s just one problem: that will require them to infiltrate an impregnable citadel that houses the gate’s mechanism — a feat that has never been accomplished before.

But Imerle is not the only one intent on destroying the Storm Lord dynasty. As the Storm Lords assemble in answer to a mysterious summons, they become the targets of assassins working for an unknown enemy. And when Imerle sets her scheme in motion, that enemy uses the ensuing chaos to play its hand.


Mark's first book, When the Heavens Fall, was a print ARC that landed on my doorstep earlier this year. I knew nothing about him or the series, and hadn't seen any fanfare at the time, so I was genuinely surprised to find it something of a throwback to the epic fantasy of the late-80s/early-90s. I'm incredibly anxious to see how he follows it up.

16 comments:

  1. OMG I wanna visit the Storm Isles! Damn it, Tor, why dontcha wanna send me books like you do with Bob :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sympathize, Dez. Even though I can drive to the US in less time than it takes me to drive to work, I still get turned down for a lot of books due to territorial rights. Argh.

      Delete
    2. they didn't even ask me for the address, the importance is in the readers not in my adddress, most of my readers are from USA. And the thing that I'm a professor of literature and work in publishing means nothing to Thor :) Maybe if I charm Loki....

      Delete
  2. I wonder if she's a bit of an anti-hero?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's a new to me one! Sounds epic!!


    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to find time to start this series. Good to know there's a follow-up just around the corner:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starting the first book now. Can't wait to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feels like one of those big epic fantasies I read back in my high school days. Huge feeling of nostalgia reading it.

      Delete
  6. Good pick! Definitely curious about this next one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time I've come across this one. Great pick!

    Arlene @ WinterHaven Books
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, February - that's quick isn't it! It seems like No.1 was only just out there!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - sounds like a lot of fun .... and a different world-building experience. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooh, you had me at "throwback fantasy," lol! I'll have to look into book one. Cool pick, thanks for sharing it!!

    Here's My WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I definitely want to give this series another shot, even though I didn't like the first book as much as I expected. But so many series that I ADORE now have started out just like that (Brian Staveley's comes immediately to mind).

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian Staveley I liked, but Jeff Salyards and Sebastien de Castell both required a second book for me, so I know what you mean.

      Delete
  12. I am also so excited about this sequel! I had no idea what to expect from When the Heavens Fall but I loved it so much! It's nice to get back to the classic feel sometimes ;-)

    ReplyDelete