Quantcast

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley
Expected publication: March 15th 2016 by Tor Books

The trilogy that began with The Emperor's Blades and continued in The Providence of Fire reaches its epic conclusion, as war engulfs the Annurian Empire in Brian Staveley's The Last Mortal Bond

The ancient csestriim are back to finish their purge of humanity; armies march against the capital; leaches, solitary beings who draw power from the natural world to fuel their extraordinary abilities, maneuver on all sides to affect the outcome of the war; and capricious gods walk the earth in human guise with agendas of their own.

But the three imperial siblings at the heart of it all--Valyn, Adare, and Kaden--come to understand that even if they survive the holocaust unleashed on their world, there may be no reconciling their conflicting visions of the future.


Brian announced on Facebook last week that "It is finished," and those are 3 of the sweetest words I have heard in a good long while. We're looking at a March release, as opposed to January (as was the case with the first two books), so I suspect there won't be an early ARC landing for xmas . . . but one can always hope.

8 comments:

  1. sounds truly epic and the cover is enough to wet everybody's appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the author but not read his books.
    I've become very cautious with my fantasy lately. Too many are trying to be Game of Thrones. I can only take so much grit, backstabbing, rape, shock, etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say Brian falls somewhere squarely in between the classic idea of epic fantasy and contemporary grimdark movement. There is some darkness and cruelty in the stories, but it's not about disgust and shock - it's more about characters struggling against the odds to be heroes.

      Delete
  3. That's a new to me one! Looks pretty epic though!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one will me a WoW post of mine in the near future. Definitely looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone seems to be featuring series books today! This is ANOTHER series I want to start, but haven't had time for. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES. YES YES YES. I haven't read Providence of Fire yet, but that's only because I loved The Emperor's Blades so much, and I don't want to have to wait too long after PoF for the final book :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I desperately need this! And just look at that cover with the kettral, it's a beauty.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete