Saturday, October 17, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A quiet week on the page, but a busy one on the shelves . . .


WTF Friday review of Sick Pack by M.P. Johnson

Waiting on Wednesday with Chains of the Heretic by Jeff Salyards

Thriller Review of Crimson Shore by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Purchased:

Elantris: Tenth Anniversary Author's Definitive Edition by Brandon Sanderson
To celebrate its tenth anniversary, Tor is reissuing Elantris in a special edition with a new afterword by Sanderson explaining how he came to write the book and its place in the Cosmere.

For Review:

Chains of the Heretic by Jeff Salyards
Men are more easily broken than myths. What Braylar, Soffjian, Arki, and the Jackals discover beyond the Godveil will shake an empire, reshape a map, and irrevocably alter the course of history.

Last Song Before Night by Ilana C. Myer
A high fantasy following a young woman's defiance of her culture as she undertakes a dangerous quest to restore her world's lost magic.

Sacrificing Virgins by John Everson
Tales beyond the darkness! In this collection of twenty-five dark tales from Bram Stoker Award-winning author John Everson, you’ll meet a host of provocative characters. 



αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

On the digital front this week, I'm wrapping up Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia. On the physical front, I'm enjoying The Lightning Stones by Jack Du Brul and I'm halfway through The King's Justice by Stephen R. Donaldson.


With an eye towards Halloween, I'm also juggling The Best Horror of the Year Volume Seven by Ellen DatlowThe Weight of Chains by Lesley Conner, and The Wells Of Hell by Graham Masterton.


What's topping your shelves this week?

11 comments:

  1. You're sure doing it epic style, Bobson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're having a busy time for books! Hope you are enjoying all your reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just picked up a copy of Last Song before Night earlier this week at one of the Tor Fall Flights of Fantasy Tour events! And I'm currently reading Scourge of the Betrayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scourge was a fantastic read - one of the best 2nd books I've ever come across. Really looking forward to the finale.

      Delete
  4. Wow, thats a lot of reading. I'm beta reading for a while. My sister brought me Stephen King's FINDERS KEEPERS I want to get to soon. Stephen R Donaldson is a favorite author too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited about Chains of the Heretic! And I'm really looking forward to check out King's Justice. Hopefully I can also squeeze in Last Song Before Night too.

    I eagerly await your thoughts on Son of the Black Sword, I've been hearing some good things.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son of the Black Sword lacks a certain narrative polish, but its a serviceable enough heroic fantasy. Good stuff, just not memorable stuff.

      Delete
  6. Maaan, I really need to get round to reading Elantris. I think it's been on my TBR for almost all those ten years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - that's why I figured the 10th anniversary edition was a good reminder. :)

      Delete
  7. I had to get a copy of the tenth Elantris anniversary too, so excited about the bonus content :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great week reading your books.

    ReplyDelete