This week’s tour topic is: Major Discoveries
JWhile often the people of Fantasyland seem stuck in a time warp occasionally a major discovery can shock the land into changes. Be they new lands, new peoples or new technologies fantasyland thrives on having something to jump start the next age.
I haven't had the time or the opportunity to enjoy our Tough Travels over the past month, and I'm a bit rushed this morning as well, but I couldn't let this one pass me by!
- The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist: there are several big discoveries in the series, but I'm not sure any compare to the discovery of the Tsurani, the psudeo-Oriental conquerors from another world beyond the Rift.
- The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence: a key plot device in all three books is the discovery of ancient Builder technology from before whatever apocalyptic event ushered in the world of Jorg Ancrath and his crew.
- The Dark Tower by Stephen King: the entire quest of Roland and his ka-tet revolves around the search for - and ultimate discovery of - the mysterious Dark Tower that stands at the intersection of worlds.
- The Realms of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb: although it takes a while for the discovery to happen, and we don't really understand the full implications until later in the saga, the discovery of dragons drives the saga and changes the world.
- The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan: Given how many times they're found at just the right moment to allow Rand to save himself (and the world), I think you have include the Sa'angreal and Angreal as major discoveries.