Quantcast

Sunday, August 2, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

Slowly getting back on track following an extraordinarily difficult month of July...


Coming up this week? I'll be co-hosting this month's Insecure Writer's Support Group, Jay Posey will be stopping by, Susan Murray will be stopping by, and I'll close out the last 6 titles of the SPFBO - along with my winning recommendation.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Believe it or not, I refrained from adding even a single title to the stacks this week. There were a couple of requests that tempted me but, like I said last week, I've become extremely selective in my approach as my priorities have shifted somewhat to put family first.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

I'm about halfway through Twelve Kings in Sharakhai by Bradley P. Beaulieu and at a point where I can really enjoy it. It's different, but incorporates a lot of familiar elements. The mythology and world-building are just fantastic - seriously, if you thought desert plains were played out, this will blow your mind - and I quite like the characters.

One of my new priorities is to make a dent in my personal shelves, so I'm catching up with Phedre, Joscelin, Melisande, and other old friends this weekend at the beach in Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey.


The Fifth House of the Heart by Ben Tripp and The Eternal World by Christopher Farnsworth are both warring for my attentions at the moment, and while neither has managed to hook me quite yet, I'm still curious enough to keep them both open.


What's topping your shelves this week?

10 comments:

  1. there's so much blood on book covers in recent years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not often that I have a blank week over at The Book Cave but I have been quite restrained over the summer which I'm pleased about. I plan to reward myself on Black Friday though! I know you've had a tough couple of weeks and you are all in my thoughts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see Twelve Kings is picking up, in my experience many epic fantasies do take time to build up to that point but once the story reaches it, it's all smooth sailing from there.

    Heard a lot of good stuff about the Ben Tripp book, so much that I had to request that one too.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading AMAZING things about The Fifth House of the Heart in some reviews lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted my review of The Fifth House of the Heart and it's already one of my favorite books of the year. Maybe it's just not your type of story:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Eternal World looks really good! I'm going to have to look that one up on Goodreads.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with the books that you featured, but I hope you enjoy them all! Hope you enjoyed the beach too! I don't guess I'll make it to the beach this year myself. Have a great week!

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for slowing down on accepting reviews. It's no fun to be overwhelmed and stressed out about reading.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to cut myself down on the books. I don't know how to they send me so many good ones! It's so hard to choose which ones to say no to and which to say yes. I hope you have a great week this week.

    Mailbox Monday #2

    ReplyDelete