Saturday, July 25, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

With my father passing this week, I haven't been around much or really given much thought to the blog, but I did offer up a brief memorial post in his honor; ran a Waiting on Wednesday feature that I had scheduled last week; and wrote up a few quick WTF Friday Reviews late last night (more as a distraction than anything else).

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Having spent the last 6 weeks watching my father waste away, and having begun the whole grieving process last week, I'm giving serious thought to my priorities - both on the page and off. I'll never stop reading or reviewing, but I suspect there will be some significant changes to my approach. I think (no, I know) I've often been guilty of reading first and living second, and I owe it to my family and to my sons to reverse that trend.

On that note, I'm likely going to be closing the door to review submissions, but there will always be titles that I request myself. One request that came through this past week was:


King of the Bastards
by Brian Keene and Steven L. Shrewsbury

Part sword and sorcery, part extreme horror, King of the Bastards is wild adventure across seas, beaches, and mountains full of horrifying monstrosities, dark magic, and demonic entities.

Rogan has been many things in his life as an adventurer — a barbarian, a thief, a buccaneer, a rogue, a lover, a reaver, and most recently, a king. Now, this prehistoric bane of wizards and tyrants finds himself without a kingdom, lost in a terrifying new world, and fighting for his life against pirates, zombies, and the demonic entity known as Meeble. And even if he defeats his foes, Rogan must still find a way to return home, regain his throne, save his loved ones, and remind everyone why he's the KING OF THE BASTARDS.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

I did finish reading Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb the night before dad passed, but I haven't had the motivation to sit down and give it a proper review. Hopefully I can manage that sometime this week, but I can tell you that I loved it, and that it's given me a new appreciation for the first book.

With all that's happened, I've still really only scratched the surface of Twelve Kings in Sharakhai by Bradley P. Beaulieu, but that's one I'm looking forward to really getting into when I feel like I can sit down, focus, and enjoy the read.

About the only other thing on my immediate radar is The 3rd Woman by Jonathan Freedland, which I'm scheduled to review next weekend as part of a promotional tour. I haven't started it yet, and I'm a little worried about whether or not I can make that tour stop commitment, but we'll see how it goes.


Well, that's it for now. My son wants to duel with inflatable lightsabers, and I can't say 'no' to that.

What's topping your shelves this week?

13 comments:

  1. Prayers for you and your family. It does put things in perspective. I've pulled back a bit from the Internet because time with my wife is more important. Will never stop though, not with the IWSG site continuing to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. It's so easy to put blogging ahead of family and other things. I've certainly been guilty of that. Your experience has put things in perspective for me, so thank you for that!

    I also received King of the Bastards and I'm really looking forward to it. Hope you and your family are doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you and your family are staying strong, Bobson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Haul! Hope you enjoy your books and have a great weekend.

    Diane @ Diane’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so sorry to hear about your dad. You have my every sympathy as I lost my mom to cancer 2 years ago a mere 7 weeks after diagnosis. I remember stepping back from reviewing and blogging for a while but they helped to keep me going!

    Hope you enjoy your books this week and will be thinking of you & your family :)

    Fi @ Bookish Outsider

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I understand how it feels to feel like you're reviewing more than you're actually living your life, and I think the entire community will stand by you and any decision you make.

    Please enjoy your books this week; don't worry about posting or reviewing! And enjoy spending time with your family too. My thoughts are with you.

    Jess @ Reading Nook Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look after yourself Bob. My thoughts are with you all right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How are you doing, Bob? Thinking of you and your family, and you have my full support no matter how you decide to go forward. Look after yourself and your loved ones first, always.

    And happy you got a copy of King of the Bastards, I remember you featuring that one in one of your past WoWs. Seeing it made me add it to my tbr as well.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your Father. It does take the wind out of our sails when a parent passes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts and well wishes are with your family during this time of loss. Family always comes first. Blogging comes when you have time and are ready. We will all be here whenever that it is/

    So glad to hear you enjoyed Fool's Quest more! I am about of the quarter of the way through and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Third Woman looks good. Hope you have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you and your family are doing okay. Your blog is always there for you and all your fellow reading friends. I'm looking forward to Twelve Kings too - it looks very promising.
    Hope you enjoy the 3rd Woman.
    Take care
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some reason that The 3rd Woman book reminds me of a Stephen King cover

    ReplyDelete