Saturday, July 11, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A fantastic week, including my wildly popular Canada Day feature, and a look back at my favorite books of the year (so far):
As for what's coming up this week, we'll have a promo stop with E.J. Stevens, but first its Dinosaur Monday. If you've been paying attention, you can guess what review will finally be loosed upon the world. :)

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.
My cold turkey approach to requesting any new review titles hasn't quite been perfect, but it's still going strong. I did get approved for that request I mentioned last week, and I have in to one submission that I just couldn't pass up.


Son of the Black Sword
by Larry Correia

After the War of the Gods, the demons were cast out and fell to the world. Mankind was nearly eradicated by the seemingly unstoppable beasts, until the gods sent the great hero, Ramrowan, to save them. He united the tribes, gave them magic, and drove the demons into the sea. Yet as centuries passed, Gods and demons became myth and legend, and the people no longer believed. The Age of Law began.

Ashok Vadal has been chosen by a powerful ancient weapon to be its bearer. He is a Protector, the elite militant order of roving law enforcers. No one is more merciless in rooting out those who secretly practice the old ways. Everything is black or white, good or evil, until he discovers his entire life is a fraud. Ashok isn’t who he thinks he is, and when he finds himself on the wrong side of the law, the consequences lead to rebellion, war—and destruction.


The Mercenary's Bounty
by C.J. Davis

When a research team suddenly goes missing in the deep jungles of Papua New Guinea, highly-skilled mercenary Chase “Ace” Dumbar is hired to investigate. During the research team’s last transmission it’s revealed they discovered an extremely potent medicinal plant with extraordinary cancer fighting qualities, but a crazed native tribe worships and guards the plant as a sacred object. Making matters worse, an active volcano stands to obliterate the research team, and the invaluable plant any day. Chase must navigate the jagged clutches of the jungle, rescue the research team and escape before the menacing volcano decimates the area.

Hot in pursuit are additional mercenaries looking to secure a million dollar bounty put out by another pharmaceutical company that caught wind of the plant’s potential to cure cancer. Among them is an estranged war buddy, Samson Treveski, and his deadly knife-assassin wife, Naomi. Samson’s been crossed by Chase one to many times, and he’s eager to even the score.

A simple rescue mission quickly turns into a race against time to secure a plant that has the potential to save millions. Chase is forced to decide between the mystifying plant and the lives of those he swore to protect.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

As for what I'm reading this week . . . whew, I am all over the place.

On the review front, I've started in on a number of upcoming titles, including Twelve Kings in Sharakhai by Bradley P. Beaulieu (it's long since time I finally gave Bradley a read) and Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb (the opening chapters here are very promising - if I'm right in my suspicions, it may 'fix' a lot of what bothered me about the first).


On the personal front, I'm still working on Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson (deep, dark, heavy stuff - but fascinating, as always), and I've also made significant progress with 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz (I generally prefer his older work, but so far this is marvelous).


On top of all that, as if there already weren't enough hours in the day, I'm slowly working my way through the penultimate batch of titles for the Great Self-Published Fantasy Blog-off. No spoilers at this point, but it's looking like a strong batch with 2, maybe even 3 that I'll be reading through to the end. Watch for an update coming later in the month.

What's topping your shelves this week?

16 comments:

  1. Always look forward to seeing the interesting, pulpy titles you get in you haul each week. Curious about your thoughts on both. The Mercenary's Bounty looks pretty wild from the cover.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes the pulp, popcorn reads just cry out my name. :)

      Delete
  2. I've never had a great time with Dean Koontz...a couple of his books I really liked especially Lighning, but most were just ordinary for me and never appealed much. Ah well, can't like everything! Just as well or me tbr would be at 100 000 books by now!!! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer his old stuff (like Lightning), but something about this piqued my interest. A classic sort of haunted house tale, but with his unique twist.

      Delete
  3. I bet you got a lot of comments on the outspoken authors post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, but some good conversations.

      Delete
  4. You had an interesting week. Great group of titles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could be the one king to rule those twelve in Sharakhai! If there's an opening place at the throne...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have very limited experience in steampunk and pulp fic but these books sound interesting. Waiting to hear your thoughts on them and hope you enjoy reading them! :)

    New follower on Bloglovin.

    Here is my STS

    Enter the 2 Year Blogoversary Celebration Giveaways!!~ 2 Giveaways, 5 Winners and Over $170 in Prizes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great haul. Forge of Darkness sounds incredibly amazing. I hope you enjoy your books!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  8. many fantasy books for you and all new to me. happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been trying not to do requests either! I really need to catch up with Robin Hobb's work anyway, so I am not going to seek an ARC of that. Hope it keeps going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to resit that allure - I still want to scrounge NetGalley and Edelweiss at least once a day, but I'm coping. :)

      Delete
  10. New to me but enjoy!
    Come and check out OUaT's STS!

    + Enter to win an ARC copy of SIX OF CROWS!

    Leydy @ OUaT

    ReplyDelete