Quantcast

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

IWSG - Summer Stolen Time

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop originally hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh, but which now has a permanent home at the IWSG site. The idea is to provide authors with an avenue to share their doubts and concerns, and to offer one another assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Every first Wednesday of the month we gather to connect with one another and share our insecurities.

My post this month is once again about time and time management. Unfortunately, no matter how good my intentions or how strong my desire to write may be, life too often intervenes. Why and how doesn't really matter. Depending on who you ask, the reasons are either entirely valid or just more excuses. What does matter is that, as Spring turns to Summer, and we're spending less time cooped up indoors, there's even less time to write. My son wants to get out to the park, my wife wants to get out for a walk or a drive, and I just want to get out.

I keep telling myself that it may be time to pull back on the blogging and book reviewing, to lighten up some of my commitments there, and redirect that time to writing, but so far it hasn't happened. Again, best of intentions and all that, but the truth is I've already made some big commitments through this summer, and I'm not one to just walk away, no matter how valid the justification may seem to be for me.


So, what that means for me, is getting back to basics and going old fashioned. Just because I can't sit in front of the laptop for hours at a time doesn't mean I can't find time to write and edit. It's time to break out the old fashioned dead-tree notebook and keep it handy - in the car, in my bag when hiking, and at my side when at home. For some reason, I'm far better at making the most of stolen moments with a pen and paper than I am with a keyboard, so we'll see how the summer goes. As for editing, it's the same dead-tree approach. It's time to print those manuscripts, grab the red pen, and tackle it a page at a time.

How about you? What's your trick to time management when it comes to writing? Is it a rigid schedule from which you never allow yourself to deviate, or is it an ability to squeeze every second out of the day? Please share below.

4 comments:

  1. Carry a notebook with you! That's a good idea. I know many successful writers who manage with stolen moments.
    For me, it's a rigid schedule. When I'm writing, it's three hours a night no matter what. Otherwise, I'd never write anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrying 3x5 cards and those notes then (eventually!!) end up on a Word file.

    I'm also big on printing and then editing (sorry trees) so good luck with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having a notebook with me everywhere. I also, for those short spurts of ideas, use the notes app on my phone. Summer is always a harder time to write for me too. I like 3x5 cards too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to try a sample of this book too!

    ReplyDelete