Thursday, May 14, 2015

Tough Travels with . . . The Weasel

Every Thursday, Nathan (over at Fantasy Review Barn) leads the gang in touring the mystical countryside, looking for fun and adventure. His Tough Traveling feature picks one of the most common tropes in fantasy each week, as seen in The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynn Jones, and invites us to join in the adventure. All are invited to take part, so if you're joining the journey late, no worries . . . we'll save you a spot in the caravan.

This week’s tour topic is: THE WEASEL

Weasels are usually very useful, obtaining information from unlikely sources and the like. For that matter they may be fun to be around. But can they ever really be trusted? Usually about as far as they can be thrown, but one never knows.

I thought this would be a lot easier, but for some reason I struggled to come up with more than a few examples of The Weasel. Of course, I think they're pretty good examples, so I don't feel too bad. :)


First up is the classic weasel, the beloved Tasslehoff Burrfoot from Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicles. Tass is a Kender, born of race known for its fearlessness, insatiable curiosity, and mischievous personalities. They are incurable kleptomaniacs, not because they have a need to steal, but because they like to 'borrow' things . . . and just forget to give them back. Tass has a tendency to 'borrow' the kinds of mysterious, magical artifacts that come in very convenient for saving the world - time and time again. Of course, they're also known for their tendency to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, which is why the most terrifying thing on Krynn is the sound of a Kender saying "Oops." On that note, Tass is just about the only one of the Companions who can be relied upon to thwart Raistlin's treachery - accidentally, of course.


Next up is Corporal "Nobby" Nobbs of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, first appearing in Guards! Guards!, the 8th Discworld novel from Terry Pratchett. To put it bluntly, Nobby is a nice guy, but he's also the kind of guy who joins the Watch to loot corpses. He's a unrepentant kleptomaniac, but he's also someone that you can trust with your life (just not your purse). As a member of the Watch, he's the first person anybody comes to when they need help finding something that's gone missing. Even if does turn out he wasn't the one to steal it in the first place, he usually knows the person who did. He's such a running gag within the Watch that anybody who wants something disposed of just leaves it in the evidence locker for him to steal.

10 comments:

  1. can I take Dragonlance as my new surname? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Tass! It's been years since I first read Dragonlance but this makes me want to go back to it. :D

    Also, Guards! Guards! is my next-but-one Discworld read. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks. I feel like I haven't read Dragonlance in forever, which it probably has been forever. I'm early in my Pratchett journey, so I haven't quite met Nobby yet, but I have heard about him from my Pratchett loving friends who assure me that Iam going to love him.

    Tiara @ Bibliosanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been a very long here too, but Tass has always stuck with me. I used to play Kender quite often in our D&D sessions. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your choices. I've only read the Tiffany Aching series in the Discworld books but I'm sure somebody told me to read the Guards - I know I don't have to read them in order but there's such a lot to choose from. Do you have a good recommendation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to read Pratchett (I know, shame on me) but of all the Discword books I have chosen Guards! Guards! to be my first! One of these days, I'll make it my backlist burndown book.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. A hole race of kleptomaniacs - ha! They sound fun. I haven't read either book/series but they sound like good examples!

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Tasslehoff? The one and only? =)

    ReplyDelete