Saturday, May 16, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A very busy week this time around as I finally found time to catch up on my reviews:
αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Two new additions to the shelves this week, both physical copies that book-ended my week, with one arriving on the doorstep on Monday and the other on Friday.

Trust No One: A Thriller by Paul Cleave
In the exciting new psychological thriller by the Edgar-nominated author of Joe Victim, a famous crime writer struggles to differentiate between his own reality and the frightening plot lines he’s created for the page.

Jerry Grey is known to most of the world by his crime writing pseudonym, Henry Cutter—a name that has been keeping readers at the edge of their seats for more than a decade. Recently diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s at the age of forty-nine, Jerry’s crime writing days are coming to an end. His twelve books tell stories of brutal murders committed by bad men, of a world out of balance, of victims finding the darkest forms of justice. As his dementia begins to break down the wall between his life and the lives of the characters he has created, Jerry confesses his worst secret: The stories are real. He knows this because he committed the crimes. Those close to him, including the nurses at the care home where he now lives, insist that it is all in his head, that his memory is being toyed with and manipulated by his unfortunate disease. But if that were true, then why are so many bad things happening? Why are people dying?

Hailed by critics as a “masterful” (Publishers Weekly) writer who consistently offers “ferocious storytelling that makes you think and feel” (The Listener) and whose fiction evokes “Breaking Bad reworked by the Coen Brothers” (Kirkus Reviews), Paul Cleave takes us down a cleverly twisted path to determine the fine line between an author and his characters, between fact and fiction.


The Abduction of Smith and Smith by Rashad Harrison
In this harrowing and thrilling work of historical fiction, two enemies become the unlikeliest of allies as they fight to save their own lives aboard a hell ship headed into the dangerous unknown.

The Civil War is over, though for Jupiter Smith, a former slave and Union soldier, many battles still lie ahead. He returns to the plantation he worked on before the war in search of his woman, but rather finds his old master gone mad, haunting the ruins like a ghost. Out of pity for the now mentally ill Colonel, Jupiter strangles him and heads west to seek a new life in San Francisco.

When the Colonel’s son, Confederate soldier Archer Smith, arrives at home and finds his father murdered, he vows revenge upon Jupiter for all he has lost—following his former slave to the far reaches of the continent.

But things take a new turn as Archer’s desire for retribution is overwhelmed by his dependency on opium, and he ends up the target of a gang of “crimpers”…the very gang that Jupiter works for in San Francisco. When Jupiter fails in an attempt to save Archer, they both end up shanghaied aboard a ship headed on a dangerous mission and ruled by a merciless captain. Will the two Smiths work together to stay alive and return home, or will they become victims of the sea, the crew, and their mad captain?

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

Trial of Intentions by Peter Orullian
Having caught up with Peter's Author Edition of The Unremembered, I am eager to get started on the follow-up, which hits bookstores at the end of the month.

Knight's Shadow by Sebastien de Castell
This is one of those cases where I'm really hoping all the advance hype is right, and that Sebastien's sophomore effort will turn me into a full-fledged fan.

Palace of Treason by Jason Matthews
It's been 2 years since Jason graced us with Red Sparrow, and I'm excited to see Captain Dominika Egorova of the Russian Intelligence Service stepping to the forefront here.


What's topping your shelves this week?

13 comments:

  1. The Paul Cleave book has a really good plot. I don't read many thrillers these days due to a lot of disappointments and lack of time but if I stumble across this one, I might give it a try. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh, these look fabulous! I haven't really read many thrillers like that, but omg, that Paul Cleave one intrigues me. (Plus I thought his name was Cleaver for a minute there and I was like "Woah, what a perfect name for a thriller writer". hHAHAH. Clearly it's late and I need sleep, but still. ;-)
    My Stacking the Shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abduction of Smith and Smith sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also got a copy of Trial of Intentions in the mail this week, what a beast of a book! I've heard you can read it without first reading The Unremembered, so I think I'll give that a go:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way too OCD to read a series out of order. :)

      Delete
  5. Great haul and all your books sound great I might have to look more into them before my next time going to my bookstore.

    My STS

    Jason @GeekBoyOnThePage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I'm intrigued by The Abduction of Smith and Smith! And I really need to get reading Knight's Shadow myself. Here's hoping...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great start - really liking Knight's Shadow so far.

      Delete
  7. A copy of Trial of Intentions landed on my doorstep this week too. I hear you can enjoy it without having read The Unremembered, but at some point I would really like to read both of them.

    I see that you aren't reading When the Heavens Fall anymore so I take it you finished it. What did you think? I'm almost halfway through and it's quite interesting.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I finished it the other night, but haven't had time to work on a review. I enjoyed it - it had a very satisfying 80s/90s epic fantasy feel.

      Delete
  8. I have Knight's Shadow on my schedule. I liked the first book and have high hopes for book two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might have to look into Trust No One. Sounds intriguing. Thanks for stopping by my sts. happy reading!

    ReplyDelete