Saturday, April 18, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A quiet week this time around:
αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

A few new digital additions this week . . .

The Great Bazaar & Brayan's Gold  by Peter V. Brett
From the dangerous world of the Demon Cycle comes the early adventures of Arlen, Peter V. Brett’s quintessential fantasy hero. These exciting origin tales follow Arlen as he learns to navigate a world where the elemental forces of evil conjure themselves from the earth each night.

Humanity has barely survived a demonic onslaught by using magical wards that protect their cities and homes. Only a handful of mercenaries and explorers risk traveling after the sun sets. Arlen, seeking adventure and fortune, is barely protected by the warded armor upon which he has inscribed intricate defensive runes. From a journey ferrying a wagonload of dynamite to a mountain stronghold, to a dangerous mission to recover desert treasures, Arlen faces friends and enemies with a strong arm and a cunning wit.


Knight's Shadow by Sebastien de Castell
Tristia is a nation overcome by intrigue and corruption. The idealistic young King Paelis is dead and the Greatcoats – legendary travelling magistrates who brought justice to the Kingdom – have been branded as traitors. But just before his head was impaled on a spike, the King swore each of his hundred and forty-four Greatcoats to a different mission.

Falcio Val Mond, First Cantor, with the help of fellow Greatcoats Kest and Brasti, has completed his King’s final task: he has found his Charoites – well, one at least, and she was not quite what they expected. Now they must protect the girl from the many who would see her dead, and place her on the throne of a lawless kingdom. That would be simple enough, if it weren’t for the Daishini, an equally legendary band of assassins, getting in their way, not to forget the Dukes who are determined to hold on to their fractured Kingdoms, or the fact that the heir to the throne is only thirteen years old. Oh, and the poison that is slowly killing Falcio.

That’s not even mentioning the Greatcoat’s Lament…


Cattle Cult! Kill! Kill! by M.P. Johnson
Strange things happen in the parts of Wisconsin where nobody is looking. Catspaw is one of those parts.

After his car crashes in Catspaw, Renny watches his girlfriend, Sera, dragged away by men wearing severed cow heads as masks. He follows them into the snow-soaked wasteland of Wisconsin and slips face-first into a sordid underworld of vicious farmers. He fights to overcome his innate inability to do anything right, but can only watch helplessly as Sera is eaten alive, the first sacrifice for the resurrection of a forgotten god of agriculture – Bovikraaga. She will not be the last…

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With my review schedule all caught up for a couple of weeks, I'm using this time to dive deep into the first 5 of my assigned reads in the Great Self-Published Fantasy Blog-off. On tap for this week are:

1.    Stoo Goff – Knights of Elevar
2.    Blair MacGregor – Sand of Bone
3.    Rick Chiantaretto – Death of the Body
4.    Steve Muse – Heir of Nostalgia
5.    Lila Lestrange – Black Silk

In addition, since we're off on a mini vacation this weekend, I decided to dig deep into the stacks and reacquaint myself with the the non-Abrams expanded universe of Star Trek. Seriously, his films left such a sour taste in my mouth, it's taken me this long to feel upto exploring the universe again. Revelation and Dust by David R. George III is the first book of The Fall miniseries, which (in hindsight) was the wrong book to begin with. Rather than encounter any more spoilers (and there have been some HUGE ones), I've decided to stop where I am and reverse engines back to the Destiny miniseries from David Mack, before docking with with Typhon Pact next, and then returning to The Fall. I think I have my summer reading cut out for me.

What's topping your shelves this week?

15 comments:

  1. Cattle Cult sounds somewhat intriguing in a sci-fy channel kind of way! I really like the cover for it as well. You get some really interesting sounding books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not as dark as anything by Gonzalez (nice review of Survivor!), but certainly some gory stuff.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to start the de Castell series, if only there were more hours in the day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the first book, but sensed there was better things to come. I've got high hopes for this one, so we'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  3. I received a copy of the Brayan's Gold/The Great Bazaar in the mail too, looks like it will be a fun quick one to read. I wonder how and where it will fit in the main series, I've heard about these two stories but know next to nothing about them, so it'll be interesting.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's nice to have a short title to slip into the mix, and I'm curious to see how it fits in as well.

      Delete
  4. Nice haul, I hope you enjoy them. Have a great weekend!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great haul! I've not heard of any of these but I hope you enjoy them.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of these but happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are new to me! I hope you enjoy your new books

    Come and check out OUaT's STS!

    Leydy @ OUaT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice haul, I hope you enjoy them.
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Catspaw," what a name! Have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you have a specific niche within which you reside. I feel that I am too often too all over the place! My son would especially love the sci-fi here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. KNIGHT'S SHADOW! I want to dive into that one today. The moocows on CATTLE CULT are so reminding me of Tauren...

    Leeanna.me: The Reading Machine

    ReplyDelete