Saturday, April 25, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Vagina Dentata

This year, I am once again taking part in the April adventure that is the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. For those unfamiliar with the concept, it's basically about 26 posts (we don't post Sundays), preferably on a theme, blogging our way through the alphabet from A to Z. My theme this year is all about TV Tropes, celebrating random tropes with some sort of weird, odd, unusual, controversial, or taboo element that appeals to my warped sense of literary adventure.

Continuing the theme, we have Vagina Dentata (check out the page for a complete definition, but your first guess is probably pretty close to the mark). After a quick perusal of the Literature examples provided, I've gotta go with:

"A lengthy sequence in American Gods culminates in a succubus-like reinvention of Bilquis the fertility goddess/the Queen of Sheba devouring a man whole through her sexual organs. There is later mention of a young recently-enslaved African girl (a twin, and thereby believed to have magic powers) convincing a would-be rapist that she had this."

4 comments:

  1. That's in a Neil Gaiman book? Wow.
    I remember that aspect was part of the story of some horror movie that was a collection of stories, but I don't remember the name of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I read American Gods quite a long time ago, so I don't remember that sequence exactly... must be time for a re-read!

    There's a horror movie called "Teeth" that uses the vagina dentata as part of a plot involving a group of fanatical high school students in a chastity ring, but as I tend not to watch horror flicks, I haven't seen it yet. Sounds pretty vicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is an example of this in one of the Peter Grant books by Ben Aaronovitch! Number 2 or 3, I think. The scene it involved was disturbing.

    Actually, after I wrote the above I clicked the TV Tropes link - they actually included in the examples, it was Moon Over Soho :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a story. Good for that African girl! I wish it was true for all of those little girls that have been kidnapped.

    ReplyDelete