Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Jackass Genie

This year, I am once again taking part in the April adventure that is the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. For those unfamiliar with the concept, it's basically about 26 posts (we don't post Sundays), preferably on a theme, blogging our way through the alphabet from A to Z. My theme this year is all about TV Tropes, celebrating random tropes with some sort of weird, odd, unusual, controversial, or taboo element that appeals to my warped sense of literary adventure.

Continuing the theme, we have Jackass Genie (check out the page for a complete definition, but your first guess is probably pretty close to the mark). After a quick perusal of the Literature examples provided, I've gotta go with:

"The Eelfinn in the The Wheel of Time are like this: Mat mistakes them for their answer-granting cousins, the Aelfinn, and when they won't answer his questions, he starts venting his frustrations on them instead, which they take as his wishes. They grant his wishes in the laziest way possible, and the wishes also come with a price that can be negotiated. Since he doesn't name a price and doesn't specify that he wants to leave their realm alive, they hang him. On the other hand, since he survived being hanged, the things they gave him did actually fulfill the wishes."

6 comments:

  1. I like the humor in that. Lazy genies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad and brother love this series. Seeing the humor in this, maybe I ought to give it a go?

    TD Harvey
    A to Z participant
    http://www.tdharveyauthor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad and brother love this series. Seeing the humor in this, maybe I ought to give it a go?

    TD Harvey
    A to Z participant
    http://www.tdharveyauthor.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband always said that you have to be VERY specific with genies or else they will turn your wish around on you -.0 lol He may like this book lol.

    Found you through the AtoZ challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, I can spend hours getting lost on TV Tropes! Right now I've got the page open for BBC's Sherlock and I peruse it on my phone whenever I'm waiting for something.

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of a jackass genie, but I love this concept of a lazy, malicious genie. This is great! Very fun A to Z! :)

    ReplyDelete