Quantcast

Saturday, March 14, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A nasty cold for my wife any myself, a health scare with my dad, and way too much shoveling of snow to avoid a flood meant a quiet week in the ruins:
Coming up this week, we'll be hosting October Weeks and Rowena Cory Daniels in the Ruins!

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Just one new addition to the shelves this week, but it's a HUGE one. I started chasing a copy of this last fall, when the release date was first confirmed, and I'm not too proud to say I begged through whatever avenues were available to land an early copy - fax, letter, email, NetGalley, Twitter, Facebook, you name it.


Fortunately, the publicity department at St. Martin’s Press came through for me this week, and I am now the proud owner of The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With my review commitments for the moment taken care of, I am taking the next week to indulge myself and explore the set-up to my most anticipated novel of the year, before giving it an early read.

The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker
It all begins here, with the novella that introduced the world to Frank and Julia, the Lemarchand puzzle box, and the Cenobites. Later adapted, of course, as Hellraiser with Doug Bradley in iconic role of Pinhead.

"The Last Illusion" by Clive Barker
It continues here, in this selection from the final Books of Blood collection, with a story that introduced the world to occult detective Harry D'Amour. Later adapted as Lord of Illusions, starring Scott Bakula in the role of Harry.

The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker
It all ends here, with the final confrontation between Pinhead and Harry, in a novel that promises to be an epic, visionary tale of good versus evil, set in Barker's erotically charged version of Hell.


What's topping your shelves this week?

11 comments:

  1. Begging for Clive :))
    Sorry to hear about the cold... grate some ginger and mix it with lemon and honey and eat it four or five times a day and it will be gone till tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to compare the movies and the original stories. If I remember right, "the Engineer" was the only Cenobite in the HEART, and I actually liked the movie of ILLUSIOn better than the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally I avoid all these bugs flying around because I get a free flu jab every October but last year's version has been pretty ineffective and every week I feel as if I have some cold symptom or another. Annoying! I hope you have a good time with Clive Barker this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one heck of a picture of you, Bob. Enjoy your Clive Barker week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Bob! Awesome that your persistence paid off:-D Hope it's as good as you want it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple of Clive Barker books I need to get round to reading... I've had them for aaaages, oops. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You weren't kidding about a fun filled week of Clive Barker! Very glad to hear you got a copy of that book!

    Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not familiar with the books you featured this week. But I hope you enjoy them! Have a great week!

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pic cracked me up especially after I read "you begged through whatever avenues were available"... LOL I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh enjoy the new Clive Barker! Hope you and your family are feeling a little healthier this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, Clive Barker...enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete