Quantcast

Saturday, February 21, 2015

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

Another lazy week in the Ruins, but some interesting posts and even more interesting guests:
αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

An interesting week of new arrivals with a nice mix of genres and authors...

• Grimm Mistresses by Stacey Turner, Mercedes M. Yardley, C.W. LaSart, Allison M. Dickson
Five pieces of short fiction bringing the Grimm Brother’s tales into the present - these are magical tales, but dark ones for sure

• Sortilege by C.M. Cox
A female-dominated society, twin assassins, and an epic fantasy novel about interplanetary alliances, magic, betrayal and an unimaginable possession.

• No Man's World: Omnibus by Pat Kelleher
On November 1st 1916, 900 men of the 13th Battalion of the Pennine Fusiliers vanished without a trace from the battlefield . . . only to find themselves on an alien planet.

• The Night is Long and Cold and Deep by Terry M. West
A novel-length collection featuring five of Terry's most highly-praised novelettes/novellas.




αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

The Devil's Detective by Simon Kurt Unsworth
Someone is brutally murdering people deep in the bowels of Hell, and the Bureaucracy has sent a Fool to track down the killer.

• Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
A work of  narrative nonfiction that captures the story of the Lusitania, a luxury liner sunk by a German U-boat  during WWI.

• Three Strikes and You're Dead by Michael A. Draper 
We may be looking at a high of -9 this week (and a low of -24), but pitchers and catchers are reporting for Spring Training, so now seems a perfect time for a baseball-themed thriller.


What's topping your shelves this week?

16 comments:

  1. I have no chance of zombie-proofing my house! I think if the zombie apocalypse comes, I'm going to be chow! I've got lots of new zombie books to read so I'm in my happy place! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for reviewing Dragon this week!
    Looking forward to your review of Dead Wake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead Wake is a slow, sometimes dry read, but utterly fascinating. It's amazing how so many small events on both sides of the Atlantic led to its sinking.

      Delete
  3. I have seen the Devil's Detective several places. If my TBR pile was not so big I would give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THE NIGHT IS LONG AND COLD probably has one of the ugliest covers I've seen lately :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tad busy, isn't it? I like the background image, and the font color is perfect, but the title's a bit too big, with a font that doesn't tie nicely to the author's name.

      Delete
  5. I'm intrigued by Sortilege. Sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been hesitant about taking on any new titles, knowing what my TBR pile already looks like, but Sortilege just struck a chord.

      Delete
  6. The Devil's Detective is on my wishlist, I can't wait to read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so rarely do anthologies so I didn't take on Grimm Mistresses, but having second thoughts about that decision now. It does look good, and I'm a fan of Yardley's work.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have my review posted in the morning, but I will say it's a solid collection with some genuinely chilling tales. Very well put together.

      Delete
  8. I'm not big on short story collections, but I do love a fairy tale re-visit, so maybe I'll look for Grimm Mistresses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you have some exciting new reads here. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grimm Mistresses possesses a beautiful cover! happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Devil's Detective and Dead Wake look good.

    ENJOY your reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete