Quantcast

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: Trial of Intentions by Peter Orullian

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

Trial of Intentions by by Peter Orullian
Expected publication: May 26th, 2015 by Tor Books

The gods who created this world have abandoned it. In their mercy, however, they chained the rogue god—and the monstrous creatures he created to plague mortalkind—in the vast and inhospitable wasteland of the Bourne. The magical Veil that contains them has protected humankind for millennia and the monsters are little more than tales told to frighten children. But the Veil has become weak and creatures of Nightmare have come through. To fight them, the races of men must form a great alliance to try and stop the creatures.

But there is dissent. One king won’t answer the call, his pride blinding him even to the poison in his own court. Another would see Convocation fail for his own political advantage. And still others believe Convocation is not enough. Some turn to the talents of the Sheason, who can shape the very essence of the world to their will. But their order is divided, on the brink of collapse.

Tahn Junell remembers friends who despaired in a place left barren by war. One of the few who have actually faced the unspeakable horde in battle, Tahn sees something else at work and wonders about the nature of the creatures on the other side of the Veil. He chooses to go to a place of his youth, a place of science, daring to think he can find a way to prevent slaughter, prevent war.

And his choices may reshape a world . . . .

The second title in the Vault of Heaven series, Peter Orullian's Trial of Intentions is a mesmerizing fantasy epic that turns the conventions of the genre on its head.


Delayed partly because of the demands of his day job, but even more by his editor being fired (after sitting on the manuscript for about 2 years), Orullian's second volume of the The Vault of Heaven, is finally on its way. I'm currently reading his Author's Definitive Edition of The Unremembered, and I can tell you I am already anxious for the next chapter.

10 comments:

  1. Nice! that's a new to me one! Sounds exciting!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sat on the manuscript for two years? How frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it funny how different corners of the internet respond to different books. A forum I am active in have Unremembered as one of the biggest recent disappointments. But most the bloggers I have read loved it.

    For me, just never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never got around to it either, but what I read about Peter's publishing experience intrigued me. Apparently his Author's Definitive Edition of the first book is actually *shorter* than the original, more focused and streamlined.

      The mythology of it really intrigues me, and I'm finding myself engaged with the characters already.

      Delete
  4. Great pick! I added The Unremembered to my wishlist way back when then promptly forgot about it, will have to see if I can get a copy from the library as I really want to read Trial of Intentions now! Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like an interesting book to read, I guess I should add it to my to-be-read list then. Great choice by the way.
    My Waiting On Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read Orullian or heard of this series, but damn if I had to wait for this book especially knowing about the manuscript sitting in limbo for two years, I would have gone nuts.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... that's a whole lot of plot. It's not my typical genre, but sounds good. I'll have to look into Book 1.

    Page @ Never Enough Shelf Space

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the late comment back, Bob.

    This looks absolutely AMAZING!! What a GREAT pick!! I have always loved epic fantasy (I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan!), so I know I will enjoy this novel! Of course, I will be starting with the first one in the series.

    Thanks for sharing this, and contributing to my Goodreads TBR!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. And thanks so much for commenting on my own WOW!! : )

    ReplyDelete