Wednesday, January 7, 2015

IWSG - Seize the Opportunity

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop originated by our very sci-fi ninja, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and which now has a permanent home at the IWSG site. Every first Wednesday of the month we gather to connect with one another, to share our thoughts and our insecurities, and to offer one another the kind of guidance and reassurance that only another author can provide.

This month we're supposed to lead off with an introduction, so let me take a stab at it:

I am a (relatively) normal introvert with a (relatively) abnormal imagination. It's the power of imagination that intrigues me, and the ability to tell stories about things that may have never been, and which might never be. My inspiration is found in the lost, lonely stories of forgotten history, and in the haunting beauty of their ruins. The way I see it, a writer's most important job is not to merely interpret the world around him, but to indulge in rewriting reality itself - except, of course, the part about my beautiful wife and two handsome children.

As for insecurities, I have a huge opportunity to do some serious writing this week, and I'm worried that I'll find some way to let it pass me by. With three days on the road for work, and two nights alone in a hotel room, I have no distractions and no excuses. I need to take advantage of the opportunity to lose myself in my writing and put a serious page count behind me.

Fortunately, from what I can see, there's nothing anywhere nearby to provide a distraction - not even a dive restaurant to grab some wings - and it's far too cold out to do any sightseeing, so I should have no excuse for not sitting my ass down and getting it done.

6 comments:

  1. I should have you write my introductions...
    Hide the remote, Bob. Then you won't be tempted to mindlessly watch television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No new episodes of The Curse of Oak Island until Sunday, so I should be good. That's my biggest guilty pleasure right now. Who can resist a real life treasure hunt???

      Delete
  2. This is my exact same problem: if I have a chunk of time coming up to write, I get all excited about it. Then when I finally arrive at that chunk of time I...try to do anything but write. It's insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that happen to me before--I had a whole week to myself with no distractions and I got absolutely nothing done. Hopefully you'll have better luck (or motivation) than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The worst part of having a large chunk of time is frittering it away. Good luck with the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww I hope you manage to fight the procrastination bug. Sadly I find it is always too keen to bite, even when you think there is no way it could possibly do so :)

    ReplyDelete