Quantcast

Saturday, December 27, 2014

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

A quiet holiday week, but two very big posts and Donald and I counted down our top reads of the year.
Coming up this week? A pair of reviews, more tough travels, my 50 First Pages Experiment, and another WTF Friday.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Nothing new on the review front this week, but I did have one new arrival in the mail. I won a copy of Sci-Fi Chronicles: A Visual History of the Galaxy's Greatest Science Fiction (edited by Guy Haley) from SF Signal earlier this month, and it arrived the day before Xmas. If you haven't seen this thing, it's a massively heavy paperback just chock full of sci-fi goodness. I've only had a chance to glance through it so far, but I really like the way it's laid out.



αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With some time off over the holidays, I doing some much-needed house cleaning in the Ruins, taking care of the towering TBR pile before it topples and totals our toddler. While I had the best of intentions, life (as is so often the case) intervened. So, with the end of the year fast approaching, I've made the difficult decision to make a clean break and start fresh with the new year.

Before I do that, however, I am going to do my best to give them all a fair chance to catch your interest. To that end, I've indulged in a little something I call the 50 First Pages Experiment, giving (as you might guess) each title 50 pages to make an impression. I'll be recapping them later next week, and hopefully a few will catch your attention.



What's topping your shelves this week?

10 comments:

  1. I was so bummed out with the lack of good books in the Amazon sales. I had hoped for a nice big pile to come! As for the festive season, I can't wait for New Year to be over with as I hate it! Happy reading...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winning Sci-Fi Chronicles is very cool!
    Hope you had a great Christmas, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only one book?! It wouldn't feel like Christmas to me without plenty of books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IMORA and ice dragons? Yes, please

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know how the first 50 pages experiment goes. The only book I've read in that pile is Sword of the Bright Lady!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've made my way through 6 of them, and so far there are 2 I'd recommend for a read. We'll see how the rest go.

      Delete
  6. That 50 first pages idea sounds really cool. I have that problem too a the end of the year having too many review books I couldn't get to. This year more so then last because the first and second trimester of my pregnancy put me in a foul reading slump, which is thankfully over now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your win, Sci-Fi Chronicles. It sounds like a nice Christmas present. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A clean start sounds good. I have lots on my review stack to carry over in 2015. You can see my week here. Have a great week and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete