Saturday, December 6, 2014

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

The first week of December was an incredibly busy one, with more visitors wandering the ruins this week than we usually see in a month!


Coming up this week? A interview with Kenny Soward, a guest post from Chris Bucholz, more reviews, more tough travels, and the 2nd installment of my Most Anticipated Reads of 2015!

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Things were pretty quiet on the new arrivals front this week, with just one new review title in Cannonbridge by Jonathan Barnes, an alternate history take "about a lie planted among the greatest works of English fiction" (due to hit the shelves in February). I did make a few purchases, however, stacking the shelves with The Dinosaur Four by Geoff Jones (which strands 10 strangers from a coffee shop in the Cretaceous period) and Velocity by Steve Worland (about a mission to seek and destroy a hijacked Space Shuttle).



αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf. I'm working hard to clear out my review queue before the end of the year, looking to a fresh start for 2015, so I'm giving several titles a shot this week:

Prince Lestat by Anne Rice
I always find Rice a slow, languishing sort of read, so I'm naturally taking my time with this one. A lot of talking and history, but I can see where it's leading.

A Fox's Love by Brandon Varnell
This odd little parody/homage of Shōnen manga that insists on poking holes in the narrative fourth wall, is destined to be next week's WTF Friday review.

Stories of the Raksura by Martha Wells
A pair of stories about Moon and the shape changers of Raksura, a dangerous place full of strange mysteries.


What's topping your shelves this week?

15 comments:

  1. The Dinosaur Four sounds intriguing so I might investigate that further. Hope you enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks interesting - I'm a sucker for good dino action.

      Delete
  2. I have really enjoyed some of Jonathan Barnes past works. The Somnambulist was a wonderful book full of red herrings and misdirection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read him yet, but the concept of Canonbridge really intrigues me. I'm curious to see how he manages the mix-up of literary history.

      Delete
  3. Never knew coffee shops were so dangerous! Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. December is always the top month when it comes to visitors :)
    Dinosaurs, Raksura and Cannonbridge have potential

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha Wells is on my wish list but have not read anything by her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to your Chris Bucholz guest post, since I'm going to be reading his book soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun post - I won't have time to give him a read this month, but I will catch up. I love his Cracked stuff.

      Delete
  7. OOh nice! These are all totally new to me! Hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reminder, I have to write my review for the Martha Wells anthology one of these days. And I'm so happy, I got approved for Owl on Netgalley last week, your review got me even more excited!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you are getting a good head start on 2015 reads! Enjoy all of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've got some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Dinosaur Four sounds interesting. I have Owl and the Japanese Circus on my stack for this week. I'll check out your review after I have read it and written mine. Here is my week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did make a few purchases, however, stacking the shelves with The Dinosaur Four by Geoff Jones (which strands 10 strangers from a coffee shop in the Cretaceous period)

    ...I'm sold! Gimme!

    ReplyDelete