Quantcast

Saturday, November 8, 2014

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

Well, this has certainly been a very busy, very active week. Lost of posts, lots of traffic, and lots of comments. It's definitely nice to see people engaged, and if you're not one of then . . . well, it's not too tale to catch up on:


I had a hard time picking a must-read title this week, so I'll leave it up to you to decide what best suits your mood.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Well, the first of those high-profile new release hardcovers I teased last week did arrive in the mail this week, including Blue Labyrinth, the latest Agent Pendergast title from Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, and The Burning Room, the newest Harry Bosch title from Michael Connelly.


A late addition to the review stacks this week (the first time I can ever recall receiving a package delivery on a Sunday) is the newest entry in the Vampire Chronicles of Anne Rice, Prince Lestat. As an added bonus, it's the far more luxurious UK cover, which is definitely a nice visual addition to the shelves.


On the digital front, new arrivals included Shoulda Woulda Coulda by Chris Johnston (a darkly comic novella that Chris promised me back in September), The Heresy Within by Rob J. Hayes (a dark epic fantasy that he'll be touring in support of late this month), and The Usurper by John Norman (a new entry in his Telnarian Histories, which I should be able to catch up with by March).

  

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf:

• The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley
A fantastic follow-up to one of my favorite epic fantasies of the year, picking up exactly where the first book left off, and revealing more about the world and our protagonists.

Lives in Ruins by Marilyn Johnson
A fascinating, hands-on exploration of archaeology that I've been lingering over, enjoying the detail as much as the history.

• Blue Labyrinth by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
There are some titles you just don't wait for, characters who demand must-read status, and Agent Pendegast is right near the top of that list.


  

What's topping your shelves this week?

16 comments:

  1. Very excited for another Pendergast tale!
    Just finished Before They Are Hanged by Abercrombie. Wow, the man can write. Need to get the next book, although I've got two others I'm trying to read right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying Blue Labyrinth so far. It even has some nice references back to the first two adventures, with a stop at the museum and appearances by Vincent and Margot.

      Delete
  2. Great group of books. It is exciting when books arrive and are ready to be read and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love Preston and Child, it's been a while since I've read a book by them! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about a return to form - great read!

      Delete
  4. Nice assortment of books! I've heard of many of them but haven't read any of them. I hope you enjoy them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Prince Lestat" got me confused! I remember reading "The Vampire Lestat" when I was around 12. At the time, there were only four or five novels in the series. And now this one is the 11th?? I should get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised there were that many books too - I always through of it as a trilogy with a few related books.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I should check out your review of Willful Child. I have that one to read too. Hope you enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read - a bit edgier than I expected, but Erikson does a stellar job of hitting all the high notes of Trek.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed The Burning Room. I haven't read a lot of Bosch but it doesn't seem to matter as you can pick the series up at any point!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny the difference you get in covers for different countries. A lot of the time the UK seems to get better covers. But I do hate it when the book title totally changes in the UK and you end up buying the same book twice without realising it!!! Enjoy your books and thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prince Lestat is on my radar and that cover is cool

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great mailbox. I don't think I'm familiar with any of these. Enjoy!
    2 Kids and Tired Books MM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that cover of Prince Lestat is gorgeous! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jealous of your copy of the Lestat book with that gorgeous UK cover! I borrowed it from the library (the audio edition) because if I'm to be totally honest, I was driven to read it more by curiosity than anything, and I was afraid of the very real possibility that I would totally hate it. But the good news is, I'm actually enjoying it so far!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete