Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2014

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

Another great week with some big titles making their way through my hands:


Coming up this week? A guest post, several reviews, and the first instalment of my Most Anticipated Reads of 2015!

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

One very nice surprise landed on my doorstop this week, with the arrival of a print ARC of The Whispering Swarm (Book One of The Sanctuary of the White Friars) by Michael Moorcock. His first independent novel in nine years sounds amazing, and I can't wait to dig into it.


Things were busy on the digital front with a pair of Bizarro titles (The Haunted Vagina and Sweet Story) from the always interesting Carlton Mellick III, and a few 2015 releases with a little apocalyptic horror from David Wellington (Positive), some South American thrills from Christopher Farnsworth (The Eternal World), and some adventure from JG Faherty (Cult of the Black Jaguar).


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf. I'm working hard to clear out my review queue before the end of the year, looking to a fresh start for 2015, so I'm giving several titles a shot this week:

Prince Lestat by Anne Rice
I always find Rice a slow, languishing sort of read, so I'm naturally taking my time with this one. A lot of talking and history, but I can see where it's leading.

Celtic Treasure by DC Johnston
Two thousand year old Celtic coins, amateur treasure hunters, and a wealthy descendant of Julius Caesar all add up to an interesting adventure.

The Earl of Brass by Kara Jorgensen
An interesting mix of archaeological adventure, steampunk, and colonial conquest that I've been looking forward to for a while now.

Chasing Shadows by K. N. Salustro
Sometimes you just want to dabble in some good, old fashioned, swashbuckling space opera adventure, especially with the new Star Wars trailer having just debuted!



What's topping your shelves this week?

14 comments:

  1. I wonder if they use a holy willie to exorcise the haunted vagina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to check out Chasing Shadows. I could use some good Space Opera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh nice! These are some new to me ones! Hope you enjoy them all in the end!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a nice score on The Whispering Swarm. I've never read him, but the cover is awesome and I took a look at the description and it sounds really interesting

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have an interesting mix of books this week. Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I haven't read any but I hope you'll like them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't heard of these, so will have to check them out. :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice assortment of books. These are all new to me. I hope you enjoy them. Come see my week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait for your final thoughts on Rice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious about Prince Lestat. I've loved the previous books but I've heard mixed things about this one. Hope you enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, Michael Moorcock! I've been trying some of his work again lately, after only reading the Elric books. He's done some really fun stuff! Hope you enjoy.

    The Earl of Brass catches my eye on that description alone... sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some rather strange titles in your new books...
    The Earl of Brass and Chasing Shadows caught my interest. I hope you enjoy all your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A new Michael Moorcock novel! I'm excited to hear about that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a really unique title. I guess you know the one. Hope you have a jolly Holiday.

    ReplyDelete