Saturday, October 4, 2014

Mailboxes, Shelves, and What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Busy week on the review front - I've been tired, stressed, and generally in a foul mood, so I've chosen to deal with it by feeding my book addiction . . . as opposed to violently kicking things, as I generally do (and breaking my big toe for a third time this year).

For starters, I took a chance on a pair of review submissions - A Stake In Murder by Donald Allen Kirch, and Sins of a Sovereignty by Plague Jack. Donald I've read (and enjoyed) before, so I was definitely interested in his take on a police procedural/vampire hunt; while Jack is an author I politely declined earlier this year, due to a lack of time, but when he came knocking a second time, a combination of his bio (seriously, check it out) and the book's world building won me over.


Next up are a bunch of titles I requested on NetGalley, seeing them as perfect fodder for my Halloweird Creepfest. In the Shadows of Children by Alan Ryker is one I've been debating on requesting for a few weeks now; B-Movie War by Alan Spencer just looks like a ton of cheesy fun; and Figures of Fear: An Anthology by Graham Masterton gives me a chance to catch up a horror master whom I haven't read in years.


Speaking of genre masters I haven't read in years, I also picked up a pair of ARCs from Piers Anthony - Cautionary Tales and WereWoman - both of which seem to indulge his edgier, weirder, more controversial side.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf. I'm abandoning my usual release day schedule this month and picking titles that fit with the Halloweird Creepfest theme:

Shadows & Tall Trees 2014 edited by Michael Kelly
A collection of tales from the premiere Canadian journal for weird fiction. Offering up deep cuts of understated horror, it's said the stories focus heavily on atmosphere and characters.

Meeting Place of the Dead: A True Haunting by Richard Palmisano
Discover why a paranormal investigation group with 30+ years of experience had walk away from an incredibly haunted property. Oh yeah, that's the spirit!

Black Dog: Hellhound Chronicles by Caitlin Kittredge
The cover blurb encourages us to think Kill Bill with demons and gangsters instead of martial arts. Okay, I'm in . . . sounds like bloody good fun.


What's topping your shelves this week?

12 comments:

  1. When I'm stressed or hacked off, I tend to have a book splurge too! Trouble is, when I'm feeling that bad I don't always feel like picking up a book to read so my tbr suffers...Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it's been years since I read any Piers Anthony as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHADOWS AND TALLTREES have such unusual and creative cover

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might try Piers out again, have not read any of his books in years. Look like you have hours of fun ahead of you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black dog was nice even if not awesome but I liked it. I don't know about the others but happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of good looking books this week. I'd be interested in what you think of Black Dog, I've seen buzz about it around.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with any of these books, but I hope you enjoy them all! :)
    Stacking the Shelves
    Dress Up That Cover: Maybe Someday

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only ones I have seen before are the Piers Anthony books. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! All new to me but hope you enjoy them!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. New Follower, Some Good books to read. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your new books - most seem a little too creepy for me.

    ReplyDelete

  12. Enjoy your reading this week! I have a lot to catch up on with Cinder & Throne of Glass... ;-)

    Guy Vestal @ Counter Culture Critic - My Monday

    ReplyDelete