Saturday, September 13, 2014

Mailboxes, Shelves, and What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Just the one new review arrival this week, but it's an exciting one - a paperback ARC of Brian Staveley's second installment in his Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, The Providence of Fire. This will likely be the next big, thick tome I relax with, taking the opportunity to lose myself in his world once again.


On the new purchases front, just one new title there as well, but it's an exciting one. Julie E. Czerneda's Species Imperative omnibus edition is out, complete with the dedication to her loyal biogeeks . . .  including yours truly!


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon by David Barnett
The first Gideon Smith tale was a Victoriana / steampunk mash-up, an old-fashioned horror story, a penny dreadful romp, and an adventure worthy of Indiana Jones. Can't wait for the sequel!

Consumed: A Novel by David Cronenberg
Probably my most anticipated read of the Fall, I'm anxious to dig in and see if he can capture his screen magic on the page. Early reviews are mixed, but I like what I'm hearing.


What's topping your shelves this week?

20 comments:

  1. Curious about that Staveley one. The first one disappointed me but there was a promise that the sister (name already forgotten) would get a lot more screen time this time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the first book, but I agree that she needs a much more substantial role in this one.

      Delete
  2. You're in the dedications - that is awesome!!!
    Hurry and read the Croneberg book. Dying to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - switching jobs this week has seriously impacted my reading pace, but I'll be back on track soon.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Great, old fashioned, pulp style adventure, Dez - just as much fun as the first one so far.

      Delete
  4. New Brian Staveley is very exciting indeed. I was like Nathan, wasn't completely blown by the first book mostly because it was pretty overhyped, but I probably enjoyed it more than him. I'm so looking forward to Adare getting the page time she deserves :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got lucky in that I read the first before there was much hype, although I think everybody agrees that Adare needs a more significant role.

      Delete
  5. It's maybe a little too fantasy for me I confess but I hope you'll like them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh very nice! As usual these are all new to me but still look exciting! Happy Reading!

    My STS will be up tomorrow so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, being in the dedications is amazing -- I've been mentioned in album notes for a couple of folk musicians, but not people most people have actually heard of. I have actually heard of that author, haha! I've never tried any of her stuff though; must look it up.

    My StS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, opening yhat dedication to her fans was a very cool move on her part.

      Delete
  8. Gideon Smith looks like fun. Species Imperative looks interesting but huge-yikes! Very cool about the dedication.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit I'm not much of a fantasy or sci fi fans, so I'm sticking with usual (possibly boring) crime fiction / suspense novels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jealous to see that you already have that Staveley book. I'm interested to see what people think of the series now that the second book is out and has potential for being much better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of these books are new to me...happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the dedication. That's really cool. And happy reading for sure. It's always fun to have a coveted ARC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like big books and I cannot lie. Cannot wait to hear about the omnibus!

    ReplyDelete